Windows Vista forum

Question

Internet Explorer and websites not responding

by camerashy6 / August 8, 2014 2:53 AM PDT

I am constantly getting a pop up message saying that Internet Explorer and other websites I visit (such as Facebook) are not responding. I have emptied my Browser, tried going on Internet Explorer with no add-ons, and I still get the same message. If I wait a fewminutes the message may then disappear and I can go ahead but the delay is so frustrating.
I am running Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.
This is happening constantly.
Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer and websites not responding
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer and websites not responding
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Some security suites cause that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 3:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
by camerashy6 / August 8, 2014 5:56 AM PDT

Bob, I followed your suggestion using Grif's advice and downloaded and ran the Winzip Malware Protector. It found 52 items in my Registry. I then requested they all be cleared but then a pop up window appeared requiring me to purchase the full version in order to ridmy system of 1 trojan, 3 worms, and 48 P.U.P.'s.
I'm reluctant to spend more money for this program at this time.
Can you suggest how I can rid my system of these without going through and expense?

Nancy

Collapse -
Spend money? Winzip?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 5:59 AM PDT

Grif's list was all free and Winzip was not on his list. I'd try Grif's advice one more time.
Bob

Collapse -
Seems like a registry "optimiser".
by Dafydd Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Spend money? Winzip?

Have to wonder if this was used.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Re: winzip
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 6:24 AM PDT

Maybe it sounds so to you, but http://www.winzip.com/prodpagemp.htm makes me think it is what it says. And since it's $39.95 it makes sense it asks for it before doing anything more than finding malware.

I wonder if it's better than the free tools Grif uses. I doubt it.

Kees

Collapse -
Just another snake oil PUP.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: winzip

Wouldn't be seen on my PC.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
by camerashy6 / August 8, 2014 5:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Spend money? Winzip?

Hi Bob, it appears that I had downloaded the wrong item. So I went back to the link on Grif's list at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ , followed his instructions, and also reset Internet Explorer. Ta da! It seems to have worked! I haven't had a "not responding" message since!
Thank you for the help you provided.
Nancy

Collapse -
Just some observations ..and a suggestion or two.
by Carol~ Moderator / August 9, 2014 1:00 AM PDT

Hi Nancy..

First and foremost, glad to hear all is straightened out! Happy

Exactly a year ago tomorrow, you posted with the subject "All websites stop responding message". The first sentence read 'Every time I go to a website to open it I receive a message at the bottom saying that particular website has stopped responding'. (Given the original post in this thread, I don't know if it was the exact same problem)

It was suggested (as Bob recommended here) at the time, to reset Internet Explorer. You indicated it worked for you. But.. a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) wasn't in question at the time, though.

You wrote : 'I followed your suggestion using Grif's advice and downloaded and ran the Winzip Malware Protector.'

I would think it's important to know (in order to avoid problems in the future) how "Winzip Malware Protection" came into play. Did you download it after reading an ad or review, which claimed it could "do it all"? Or did it come bundled with software you downloaded?

The reason I ask. You need to be extremely careful where you download software from these days. (To include Download.com) Many sites have taken to bundling PUP's (or worse) with downloads and installations. Those which were once trusted, can no longer be.

If you chose Winzip Malware Protection, as the result of an ad or review you read, I'd question that too. It wouldn't hurt to post and ask about software, before installing it. It only takes a few minutes to ask. Less time then it might take to remove it from your system.

¢ ¢
Carol

Collapse -
And to take it even further
by Jimmy Greystone / August 9, 2014 2:36 AM PDT

And to take it even further, if this is at least the second time in as many years that this has happened, it seems time to take a step back and evaluate what it is you're doing that is leading to these problems. Using Internet Explorer is the obvious one, but we can't lay the blame solely at Internet Explorer's doorstep. While it is most definitely quite a bit harder, it is possible to use Internet Explorer and still avoid malware in its various forms. Of course the rather toxic combination of Internet Explorer and the cesspool that can be Facebook will really make it so someone has their work cut out for them. Personal opinions about Facebook aside, plenty of malware will use it as an infection vector, hijacking someone's account and posting a bunch of crap hoping that people will see it and click on it to help it spread. That's before you get to how Facebook is shamelessly selling you and your data to advertisers. As the saying goes: If something is free, it's not the product, you are.

The fact that this WinZip program came into play somehow or another would tend to suggest that the OP has some habits that need changing. Then again, I seem to be in the minority. Instead of accepting the inevitability of this kind of garbage getting onto my system and just worrying about cleaning it up after it gets to be a problem, I prefer to use my 10ft pole to keep it at bay. I'm willing to change the programs I use and the way I use them if it means a greater probability that I will not have to deal with malware. After all, who knows how long something has been lurking on your system and what it may have reported back to someone, by the time it gets to be a problem. It could have been there for weeks or months even. Everything you did between the time that program wormed its way onto your system and you excised it is now potentially exposed. Every username and password for every site you visited, every credit card number entered in to make a purchase, all are now potentially in the hands of some ne'er do well anywhere in the world.

I think it would be refreshing if CNet took the lead on helping educate average computer users on ways to avoid malware as opposed to simply cleaning up the mess left behind. There certainly seems to be a void when it comes to that kind of information, so all we need is for someone to step forward and take the lead.

Collapse -
Internet Explorer and websites not responding.
by camerashy6 / September 18, 2014 10:40 AM PDT

Carol,I remember how it came to be that I hit the download button for Win Zip Malware Protection. When I went to the site as suggested by Grif at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ there are two download buttons on that page. One is for Adware Cleanerand the other is for the Win Zip Malware Protection (the green button) but of course it doesn't say what it is and is what I think is a "trick" to get you to download it. Which, of course I did.
Subsequently I did go back and refollowed Grif's suggestions and all seemed to be well.I wrote toBob stating that it seemed to have worked. Unfortunatly though, the problem has sinced returned and I am at a loss how to fix this. In addition to the "not responding" message Ialso occasionally get one that says "there is a long script running."
I am very frustrated.
Nancy

Collapse -
Glad to read you sorted this out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2014 2:09 AM PDT

I see Carol covers the rest of the warnings.

My comment is "what a mess they made of a fine thing."
Bob

Collapse -
update aging your website and avoiding multiple scripts
by AnkitPal / January 30, 2016 1:03 AM PST

If your system says that website (http://abc.org) is online nut its't responding means your system in not have any kind of problem like as - internet connection, system.
but actually this is your website problem that give not accurate respond, I want to suggests you that contact your webmaster/software developer for your web responding, mostly it is the script problem, may time have few wwrong activities, when webmaster run test on server than test had been run successfully but few scripts are not responding correctly so webmaster always think about it ans avoid un-necessaries scripts and don't trying to multiple times same scripts.

feel happy Happy
thank you...!!!

Collapse -
Answer
Vista not responding message
by Fixitech / September 18, 2014 1:27 AM PDT

I recently received as gift someone's unused laptop with Vista on it. I did a complete restore-Service Pack 1 and 2 were installed and all updates, then .NET 3.5. Malware not present, MSSE. The problem required forced shutdown and manual restart until I installed .NET 4.0.
No-one suggested this fix-I hope it contributes to the collective wisdom out there.

Collapse -
Malware
by Deemount / August 28, 2015 6:45 AM PDT

Use malwarebytes - free and very good.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!