Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet explorer and the dialer

by rdoyle3 / July 6, 2004 10:33 PM PDT

I am working through a dial-up connection. I was recently on vacation and came back to find that "someone" had been on my machine. Now Internet Explorer doesn't prompt to dial. It just pops up and sits there and even if I press reload it doesn't work. If I go to Network Neighborhood I can connect to the internet and then press reload and explorer works just fine. Any idea on how to reassociate the two???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet explorer and the dialer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet explorer and the dialer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Internet explorer and the dialer
by Papa Echo / July 6, 2004 10:53 PM PDT
If I go to Network Neighborhood I can connect to the internet and then press reload and explorer works just fine.

You use dial-up. Are you also on a Network with DSL or cable ? I am not quite clear on how you are able to connect at Network Neighborhood, but go to IE Tools>Internet Options. Connection tab. Make your choice there...always dial my default connection ?
Collapse -
by Coryphaeus / July 6, 2004 10:54 PM PDT

Open IE. Click Tools, Internet Options, and click the Connections tab. Make sure your dial-up connection is listed. Put a check in "Always dial my default connection". Click "Set as default".

Collapse -
by sheilakmcd / July 6, 2004 10:57 PM PDT

When you open up Internet Explorer, what is in the address bar? If no home page is set, it has no reason to dial up. If it says about:blank, and it had a homepage when you left, set your homepage and see if it sticks. If not, I'd be doing the spyware cleanup routine: Adaware, Spybot, Housecall, CWShredder, Stinger.

Also verify always dial my default connection is checked in Internet Options.

Collapse -
by simon2004 / July 24, 2004 1:28 PM PDT

Yes i know i hope.

Whoever went on your computer used a proxy connection. Just go to your internet options, then click on the advanced settings and uncheck the proxy box

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!