Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox

My computer does not connect to the internet via Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, but when I run it in SafeMode, it does. Also, I tried uninstalling the two programs and reinstalling it, and I still have problems. About a week ago, this happened, but then it started working again. Only then, it was just Internet Explorer that was connecting, but Firefox does. I have a feeling that it has something to do with my Connection. I use wireless, and the wireless is based off of a DSL modem and it never dials a connection. With my LAN settings, it says to automatically detect settings. My proxy server had some numbers in the address and port form boxes, but it doesn't now. Should it be? I'm not sure, I need help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would assume

In reply to: Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox

that something is running when you are not in safe mode that's preventing you from accessing the internet. Perhaps a firewall or some other software? Also, try to repair the connection and if it fails, let us know where to determine what exactly may be the problem.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Re: THANKS

In reply to: I would assume

Thanks for the response.

That could be the case, but I ran a diagnostics on explorer when I'm not in safe mode, and it said that something was wrong with the winsock catalog and the way that it was processing the info regarding connecting to the internet. So, I went to search for that, and it is winsock.dll I suppose. And when I went to check it, I really couldn't see nothing, it looks like it's one of those files that your not suppose to open. As far as the firewall, I'm not sure either, because previously saying that it could have that problem when I first had this issue about a week ago, and I checked my firewall which is McAfee and it was truly nothing wrong with it, because I even went as far as calling the McAfee company and they went through a whole trial and error situation with me and that was not the problem. I even uninstalled Internet Explorer and reinstalled it, and that did not work. So, I'm really not sure what the problem is, except for this winsock thing. I even go as far as to check the proxy for the explorer, but it's set to automatically detect settings for the LAN since I use a wireless connection. The proxy is something that I do not think that I really need. I'm just wondering how to get my computer to the way that it was about 2 weeks ago, give or take a week.

Collapse -
Just a thought.

In reply to: Re: THANKS

The ZoneAlarm clash with one of the recent Windows Updates caused a problem with DNS. ZoneAlarm is a firewall, and as you say you are using McAfee as a firewall, I doubt you will also have ZoneAlarm installed. If you do, you should only have one.

There have been no reported problems with this Windows Update and McAfee as far as I know, but it would do no harm to check your settings further.

I am not sure why you mention Proxy settings. If you access the internet through a Proxy server then I know little about that. You say you check the proxy for IE and it is set to automatically detect settings, but is the Proxy server option selected, and if so, are there figures in the Address field and Port field?

If not, do some more checking as follows;

If you have a My Network Places icon on your Desktop, open it, and click View Connections on the left. If you don't, goto the Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections.

Find your network connection and highlight it. Then right click it and select Properties. In the new window, under the General tab, there should be a list of connection items. Scroll down until you see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and highlight it. Do not de-select it. Click the Properties button.

What I believe you should have under the General tab is as follows;

1] "Obtain an IP address automatically" should be selected.

2] "Obtain DNS server address automatically" should be selected.

If the "Use the following DNS server addresses" is selected instead and there are IP numbers in the 2 boxes below, then that may be the cause of your problem.

If that "Use the following DNS server addresses" is the one selected, then it may be that this is because you are using DSL broadband or because you are using a proxy server. But I don't know about either so I can't help.

However, if DSL should still have DNS servers obtained automatically and/or you are not using proxy servers, then I believe option 2 above should be applied. But make a note of the DNS server IP numbers in those boxes just in case.

It's up to you to change this if the settings above are not the same as yours. it worked for me, but my own problem was caused by the clash between ZoneAlarm and that Windows update.

Mark

Collapse -
If You Use ZoneAlarm & It's Happened After Updates..

Collapse -
Re: Thanks

In reply to: If You Use ZoneAlarm & It's Happened After Updates..

I read this actually, and I uninstalled one of the KB's which was not KB951748, that was talked about in that discussion. I tried setting the internet settings to medium for all of it, and it still did not work. The Zone Alarm thingy, I'm not too sure about it. I'm still trying to do some investigating of my own while you all are trying to help me or direct me to some help. The funny thing about is the fact that it works in safe mode for both internet explorer and mozilla firefox, and I doubt it's the firewall that is stopping me when I am not in safe mode.

Collapse -
Removing Microsoft Update KB951748 Worked for Me

In reply to: If You Use ZoneAlarm & It's Happened After Updates..

I had a very similar-sounding problem with a Dell laptop. However, in my case, the problem presented itself by preventing Outlook Express (OE) from connecting to my mail servers, but browsing seemed to be unaffected.

At first I tried to re-install OE, but that had no effect. But then I remembered the notification I received from Zone Labs about this known problem. I used two of the recommended actions: I removed KB951748 and also updated ZoneAlarm. Now everything seems to work perfectly again.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Re:

By the way, I'm using an Insprion 2200 laptop, and Windows XP not the Vista service.

Collapse -
This is a shot in the dark but...

In reply to: Re:

since you mentioned Winsock try the following:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

This tool is a fix for a corrupt Winsock and hopefully is a repair.

Hope this helps... as I say it's a shot in the dark.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: This is a shot in the dark but...

Thanks, looks like it didn't work. I ran the program, said that it fixed the problem, but it didn't. Although I read in the comments that there is a way to go to the program itself and reset the winsock application to the way that it was for the factory settings. But, I'm not sure if I should do that or not because it says that some or many programs may not work properly. Besides the fact that it does work in safe mode. Nonetheless, it looks like it kind of messed up my wireless configuration in regular mode although it still works, so I'll have to run a system restore to go to a previous time. I'm still trouble shooting though by the way.

Collapse -
Since you mentioned "System Restore" are you able...

to do system restore to a date before this happened using the restore feature in XP?

That may be worth trying... the restore can always be reversed if you don't like what you get. I have used this successfully many time and got me out of some bad situations.

Just an idea.

Glenn

Collapse -
Sorry, that may be what you meant...

In reply to: Since you mentioned "System Restore" are you able...

I was thinking in terms of a recovery of your system... sorry if I misread your comment.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Sorry, that may be what you meant...

I think its a virus, or I know it is and now I'm trying to find the right program to erase the virus.

Collapse -
If you think it's a virus...

Collapse -
Nod!

In reply to: If you think it's a virus...

These 2 are now quite the forum favorites and deserve it.

Collapse -
VIRUS Trojan:Win32/Nebuler.gen!C

In reply to: Nod!

That is the virus that Windows Live Safety scanner found. It is in my c drive, in system volume infomration, it reads like this:

c:\system volume information\_restore{01284a2e-e2c3-4bf8-96b3-712e455776fa}\rp408\a0501126.dll

Windows live oneCare safety scanner was unable to clean it it .

Collapse -
That can easily be removed.

In reply to: VIRUS Trojan:Win32/Nebuler.gen!C

If it is in one of your system's System Volume Information/_restore folders, then it can easily be removed.

The method is to disable System Restore, then enable it again straight away. This deletes all System Restore points and backup files for those restore points.

If you want to do this you should realize your System Restore backup files will be deleted. Find your My Computer icon, (either on the Desktop or in the Start Menu), right click it, then select Properties. Click the System Restore tab, and then select the "Disable System Restore" option. Click Apply, and the system will delete all the restore points. Immediately, de-select that option, then click Apply/OK.

I would then create a new System Restore point immediately, (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore), and then scan again with your anti-virus and anti-spyware.

Mark

Collapse -
Removed/ Internet Problems Remain

In reply to: That can easily be removed.

Well it looks like Windows Live One Safety Care removed the virus and all the infected files which was all of my music that I'll never be getting back on my pc. Not only that, I had ran those other virus scan programs that were mentioned in the thread and they cleaned all other things out. The age old question that I have is after I did all of this, my internet still does not work when I run it in the regular mode, but in safe mode, it works. And this KB microsoft update is something that I do not have. Someone was telling me that if the internet runs that way, then there is a virus on it, but I removed the virus and it still does not work. Ive been having this problem for a while now.

Collapse -
Not sure.

In reply to: Removed/ Internet Problems Remain

What the exact messages you get when the browsers, (IE and Firefox), fail to connect to the internet?

Is your Mcafee firewall configured to allow both IE and Firefox to access the internet?

You mention DSL and wireless. Whilst I know little about those, have you tried rebooting the DSL modem, and checking your wireless settings? To reboot the modem the computer should be switched off, then turn the modem off and unplugged from the wall/mains socket, wait a couple of minutes, then reconnect and turn on.

I know these work in Safe Mode, so my own suspicion rests with the firewall.

Mark

Collapse -
internet not loading.

after reading your problem with no internet, i would ask if you are running zone alarm? if you are, microsoft did an update which conflicted with old editions of zone alarm. my i recomend that you remove zone alarm and reinstall the new edition..
regards
stuart rockett

Collapse -
Zone alarm security suite 3 /Windows xp

In reply to: internet not loading.

First of all I am a computer novice. I purchased the zone alarm program (several months ago) and did recently experience the upgrade problem with windows. I first restored to an earlier date but windows has reinstalled the update. Then I removed the update as suggested but once again windows tried to reinstall an update but I shut down to stop it. Also around the same time that this began my cordless mouse has started freezing every few seconds. It has new batteries. I have photo's and misc. documents I don't want to lose. What should I do?
Thanks for the help.
Deb

Collapse -
Not clear.

In reply to: Zone alarm security suite 3 /Windows xp

Hi Deb.

It's not clear what the problem is with your system. You seem to be saying you have 3 problems;

1] Mouse not working,

2] Windows Update

3] Photos and misc documents.

But I am not sure how all these relate.

1] Mouse not working. Try cleaning the mouse ball and rollers inside the ball housing. They can get dirty and become unresponsive. An alcohol based cleaner soaked into a cloth pad is best. But I just use a slightly damp paper kitchen towel with warm water.

2] Windows Update. Are you saying you no longer have an internet connection? If so, check that ZoneAlarm is the updated version by going to http://www.zonelabs.com. If you are not saying you have an internet connection problem, then I would let that Windows Update install. It is needed to help secure against a vulnerability.

3] Photos and misc documents. What is the problem there? Remember, you always back up those files you cannot afford to lose.

Mark

Collapse -
clarification of problem

In reply to: Zone alarm security suite 3 /Windows xp

Thanks for the suggestions. My mouse is wireless with no moving parts. The cursor frequently freezes on screen.When the windows update is allowed to install I lose the internet and ability to open programs: firefox, aim, word etc. My PC is a Compact Presario. My concern was I might lose access to important items if it continues to freeze or something worse. How do I stop the install that creates the problem?
Thanks,
Deb

Collapse -
Re: calarification

In reply to: clarification of problem

- What Windows update exactly?
- Did you already install the latest version of Zone-alarm (7.0.483). Older ones conflict with one particular Windows update concerning the DNS-system.
- It's easy to stop Windows from updating. Just go to www.windowsupdate.com, let it scan, and mark this one as "don't install and don't remind me about it". But it's far better to simply update Zone-alarm.

Kees

Collapse -
I agree. That Windows Update is important.

In reply to: Re: calarification

I assume it is the same one that is causing other people problems with ZoneAlarm and connecting to the internet.

The solution, like Kees says, is to update your ZoneAlarm. They issued a fix for this problem. Once you have updated you should then install the Windows Update and have no problems.

The problem with the mouse: Being a wireless mouse does not necessarily mean it has no moving parts, unless it is also an optical mouse. The optical mouse I had some time ago had a lens on the bottom and it is that which detects movement. Check to see the lens is clean. The other thing that can happen is the mouse driver. The Device Manager might help there. (Right click the My Computer icon, select Properties, then Hardware > Device Manager. If the entry for the mouse shows an exclamation mark there may be a driver problem. I would reinstall the drivers.

If that doesn't help, then do you have a spare PS/2 mouse available? Or another USB mouse.

Those files shouldn't be affected by any of this.

Mark

Collapse -
WINDOW UP-DATE ?

In reply to: I agree. That Windows Update is important.

Which windows up-date should I downloads after I UP-DATE the Zone-alert.
thank you for your time

Collapse -
That will be done automatically ...

In reply to: WINDOW UP-DATE ?

if you visit windowsupdate.com and let it scan.

Kees

Collapse -
MS update KB951748 conflict with zone alarm

In reply to: WINDOW UP-DATE ?

your problem came about due to windows updating and adding MS update KB951748. microsoft added an update which was not compatible with zone alarm. zone alarm then stopped all internet access. by removing either MS update KB951748, or zone alarm you remove the problem. zone alarm then put out an updated version to sort the conflict.
stuy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.