Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer 8 Beta Crashes/Can't Remove or Delete

by jlobaza / April 12, 2008 3:24 PM PDT

I bought an HP running Windows Vista 32 bit and made the huge mistake of installing IE8 Beta. Now, every time I launch IE, it crashes. Microsoft took away rights to delete. When I try to uninstall, it doesn't appear in the window. I downloaded a couple other uninstall programs, but nothing recognizes IE8. I'm running Firefox, but I want this out of my program folder and be able to reinstall IE7...the software Vista came with. What can I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer 8 Beta Crashes/Can't Remove or Delete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer 8 Beta Crashes/Can't Remove or Delete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this
by Dango517 / April 12, 2008 7:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
Will Call Microsoft
by jlobaza / April 13, 2008 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: try this
Collapse -
And You've Tried Using System Restore To A Time...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 13, 2008 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Will Call Microsoft

....before IE8 was installed.?? My use of Beta programs is limited to those machines where I can easily format and reinstall everything from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
simply try
by Dango517 / April 14, 2008 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: try this

re-installing Internet Explorer 7 over it. Just install IE7.

This is what there saying on "Discussions in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta". I believe there miss reading this and this removal method is only for those that are using the Beta version of XP PS3.

See Link:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta&cat=en_us_2BAF8EC5-645C-4477-A380-0F1CF6C102F9&lang=en&cr=us

It is in Program files, under C: drive but deleting it here might cause problems in the registry. Registry repair software would most likely straighten out any problem this method of removal might create but I'm not totally certain. Use this suggestion at....your own risk.

If it does cause problems you could also manually uninstall it from the registry but this too has risks. Use this suggestion at....your own risk.

Collapse -
Will It Uninstall Like This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 8:12 AM PDT

Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
1. In Control Panel, click Programs, and then click View Installed Updates.
2. Click Windows Internet Explorer 8, and then click Remove. The computer will revert to Internet Explorer 7 and previously installed Internet Explorer 7 security updates.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It worked
by jlobaza / April 14, 2008 1:52 PM PDT

Thanks Grif...I'm new to PCs. I have a Mac and bought my first laptop. I went to the uninstall area, but it didn't show up there...didn't know about the installed update area...took care of the issue...working fine...thanks again.
Jeff

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Glad It Helped!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: It worked
Collapse -
uninstall on windows ex
by herbies / June 4, 2008 5:15 PM PDT

hi was reading this i want to uninstall explorer 8 to but i am on ex i had a look the way you said in vista set up i dont have programs in the control panel where else do i look please

Collapse -
What is Windows ex?
by John.Wilkinson / June 4, 2008 11:04 PM PDT

If that's Windows XP, you can go Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs.
In Vista it's Control Panel->Programs->Programs and Features->Uninstall a program.

If neither apply you'll need to clarify what you mean by "Windows ex," as that's not a proper Windows version.

John

Collapse -
xp
by herbies / June 5, 2008 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: What is Windows ex?

sorry i ment xp i deleted it from add and remove and it still on my computer looked in the updates and it isnt there either i tryed redownloading internet explorer 7 and it want download over the top of explorer 8 i was wondering if i redown load the 8 version and try and change it from there

Collapse -
Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
by Soul Raven / June 7, 2008 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: xp

That is the wonderful thing about Beta's Silly

Granted I'm sure you clicked on some huge warning that indicated they would take your first born for rights and usage etc etc.

None the less you can try the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility". It should, in theory, be able to locate and remove the application. Granted it is a beta and might not take so well, but I'm including the link for the download none the less.

I'll look into it for you a little further, but probably be a couple days before I can get back to it. In the mean time, as previous posters had mentioned, use registry modifications at your own risk. As always backup if you're worried about data loss etc. Wink

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

Here is the KB that explains what it does, and yes it does apply:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Collapse -
ok installer cleanup
by herbies / June 7, 2008 4:43 PM PDT

well i downloaded this and i am not sure if i should run it or not dont really no that much about how to do this dont want to delete all that stuff it brings up not sure

Collapse -
No problem...
by Soul Raven / June 8, 2008 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: ok installer cleanup

When you run the tool it pulls up a small box containing all the applications it detects installed on your computer. It is designed by Microsoft, and is reputable.

Now you will see several entries for other applications, which you do not want to remove, but I was just curious if it was able to locate the Beta.

As before, I'll be back in the office on Tuesday and have access to a few more resources at that time. Wink

Collapse -
windowes clean up
by herbies / June 8, 2008 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: No problem...

what do i do there i see all the programs do i click select all or clear all what happends if i select all does it delete them all
this is what i am not sure of what to click i dont want to delete all them programs will waight for your reply sorry if i am a pain for you

Collapse -
No don't click all
by Dango517 / June 8, 2008 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: windowes clean up

Click the item you want to remove, (see A in the link provided). Once you click it, it will be highlighted, my example is blue. Then click "remove" (B). This will remove this program only. Then click "exit" to leave the program.

http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenhunter01jun082241vs5.gif

If your still confused/uncertain then ask someone to help you there where you are.

Collapse -
After you click Internet Explorer 8
by Dango517 / June 8, 2008 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: No don't click all

the remove button will 'fully" appear. It is "shaded' before the item you want to remove is clicked.

Collapse -
Windows Installer Cleanup
by Soul Raven / June 8, 2008 4:16 PM PDT
In reply to: windowes clean up

You'll want to select "just" the application you want to remove. In your case that would be IE8 Beta. If you have it available in the list you can select "just that" and click remove. If it works great if not I'll get back with you, and possibly request some log files to get a better idea of whats going on.

Wink

Collapse -
its not in list
by herbies / June 8, 2008 6:30 PM PDT

i had a look it isnt in the list

Collapse -
will waight
by herbies / June 7, 2008 4:46 PM PDT

i will waight till you can have a look at the problem and get back to me ok

Collapse -
Update on Windows Explorer 8 caused my computer to crash
by janedonovan / November 2, 2009 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: What is Windows ex?

Computer: Dell desktop operating on Windows XP
Last week Internet Explorer 8 offered an update. I chose it. Computer crashed. Since then I get a DOS page when turning on computer. In short, it says windows cannot open normally and several other messages. Safe Mode is the only way I can use computer. Restore to an earlier date did not work. Excel and Microsoft word and pictures, etc. still work in the difficult to use safe mode. Internet was not working. So I took the advice of removing IE8. I also wound up removing IE7 so now I'm really up the creek. Nothing is working - firefox - nothing. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Check add-ons
by jdpassman / June 25, 2009 5:30 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!