Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer 8

by bob98632 / November 8, 2009 12:28 AM PST

Hi my name is Bob and I have Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8.
I just went from dialup to DSL. My problem is that each time I go on line thru IE8 it takes about 2 minutes to connect. I click on task manager and it tells me that IE8 is not reponding. I finally remembered Firefox and have been using it and when I go on line with it works perfect. So I guess my question is. Is there a way to repair IE8. I did have IE7 and I thought if I downloaded IE8 it might eliminate the problem but no such luck.

Thankyou for your time Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer 8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wonder if this is a Home Page?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 8, 2009 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Internet Explorer 8

Do you have a Home Page that opens up when you run IE8?

If so, I wonder if that is the problem. That "Not responding" could be the home page web site not responding. Which Home Page do you have?

When you start IE the next time, cancel that connection attempt, (the red X in the address bar, far right), type in www.google.com and press Enter. Does that load quickly?

Mark

Collapse -
ehhh...
by d_adams / November 8, 2009 4:35 AM PST

You can't press anything on a program that's not responding...

Collapse -
by bob98632 / November 8, 2009 6:38 AM PST

Mark thanks for your response. I tryed what you said and it still took about two minutes to respond. I am using Excite as home page.

Collapse -
There's a lot happening
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 8, 2009 7:37 PM PST
In reply to: reply

at http://www.excite.com . It's a busy page.

Since you are on dial-up there may be a natural delay in loading that page, and it may be that IE is different to other browsers, 'in this particular case', in that it is downloading all the components before displaying them.

I would try a simple Home Page like http://www.google.com for IE, and see if it loads faster. You can always set Excite as your home page again afterwards if you wish. It's a test. If google.com loads faster than excite.com in IE, then the problem is not with IE but with the web site. If google takes just as long to load, then the problem is with IE.

It's a process of elimination.

Mark

Collapse -
short answer: no.
by d_adams / November 8, 2009 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Internet Explorer 8

IE 8 has to be among the worst programs I've ever had the misfortune to try. It crashes, it stops, it loads slowly, and then it crashes again. And that's if your lucky enough to get it to start up in the first place. Microsoft appears to have, rather that rewriting IE to make it better, faster, and stronger, to have instead added a bunch of crap on top of an already slow and aging program (IE 7). The only fix, will be numerous updates coming over the next several years, in which IE will become more stable, but eventually become so heavy that it collapses under its own weight.

Changing to Firefox is probably the right decision. But, I'd also advise trying out some other browsers. Firefox is by no means the best. You know how it takes about 10 seconds to startup? Well, my personal favorite (on both Mac and PC) is Safari 4. It has a 2 second startup time on my old vista box (my slowest machine right now), and it loads webpages faster than lightning. Google's Chrome browser isn't bad either. I'd say it's just as fast as Safari, but doesn't look as cool and lacks the "familiar" layout safari has (why on earth did they put the tabs on TOP of the address field, instead of the bottom like everyone else?).

Anyway, give up on IE; it's a lost cause. And, definitely try Safari.

Collapse -
by bob98632 / November 8, 2009 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: short answer: no.

Thanks for the reply. I did download Safari 4 and you are right it does seem to be faster. I still don't know why IE8 doesn't seem to work, but being on dialup I don't think I really noticed.

Thanks for your help I think I will use Safari 4

Collapse -
How to fix the problem
by sourblast52 / November 9, 2009 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: reply

Internet is known to have this problem. Its very common. All you have to do is reinstall IE 8 and then restart your computer. Try doing this. It has worked for tons of people including me. If the problem still occurs then go to microsofts website and then look for help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.