Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer 7 Has Been Released... A NOTE..

by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 19, 2006 1:11 AM PDT

Yesterday, Microsoft released their newest tool for surfing the internet. System Requirements indicate users must have Windows XP SP2 or LATER. It is not supported on Windows 2000 or earlier. Links for downloading Internet Explorer are listed below:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

or

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6620-0.html?forumID=14&threadID=213227&messageID=2279804

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Each user needs to make a personal decision when installing a new browser version like this... There are frequently glitches in a new release with patches and fixes released some time in the future.. Recognizing that this is a "Newbie" forum, please be cautious. It may be wise to wait a while until some of the problems with the new release are identified and fixed..

Currently, I'm testing IE7 on our Windows XP SP2 PRO machines. It is similar to the previous IE 6 but there is definitely a new look, new tabbed browsing, and a few things like a "Phishing Filter" which checks for websites that use "Phishing" techniques to steal your personal information. It will take a little getting used to.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer 7 Has Been Released... A NOTE..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer 7 Has Been Released... A NOTE..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Grif, tks for the "heads up"
by Shirley R / October 19, 2006 4:25 AM PDT

As always I value your advice and will wait a while before installing I.E.7.

Thank you again.

Shirley R.

Collapse -
Grif's Caveat Revisited
by dcmorris / November 12, 2006 1:10 AM PST

I am normally the last to try something new but I stepped out of character and downloaded IE7 the day prior to Grif's advice appearing here. Had I waited I would not have been so bold.
However, not all is lost. I have had zero problems with IE7 and it does have some features I like. As Grif pointed out, it does take some getting used to. (For instance, the little "thingy" that indicates a site is loading is no longer up in the upper right hand corner). It does have a neat zoom feature readily available which works better than rotating the mouse wheel.
Having said that, Firefox is still my browser of choice.
I am not suggesting Newbies should rush into downloading IE7. Grif's advice still stands.
I would be interested to know of others' experiences with IE7.

DC

Collapse -
For 560+ member experiences...
by John.Wilkinson / November 12, 2006 1:36 AM PST

The thread What do you like/dislike about Internet Explorer 7? has 560 posts so far from both sides of the fence, making it a long but interesting read.

Personally, I have encountered compatibility issues with McAfee IS, SpySweeper, and others that have not been completely resolved. Another issue with various Logitech mice and their respective software also causes scrolling issues. Thus, while I have kept IE7 it has not been problem-free and some have 'suffered' much more than I have.

John

Collapse -
(NT) BUMP!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 8:36 AM PST
Collapse -
IE 7
by tomron / November 20, 2006 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: BUMP!

I was pondering this a few days ago but had reservations for the obvious reasons,in fact i was considering posting a question regarding this.After reading Grif's post i will not install IE7 in the near future.

I found this LINK that might be of some help if one deceides to install.

Tom

Collapse -
IE 7.0 testing
by Mijo0305 / December 19, 2006 5:34 AM PST

Have you created a checklist for testing your apps with IE 7.0? Do you have a standard browser checklist. Thank you

Collapse -
No Checklist Needed Here... But Others Have...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 19, 2006 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: IE 7.0 testing
Collapse -
Now that i upgraded other programs wont connect...
by MechaTama VII / January 14, 2007 6:33 AM PST

My computer kept bugging me to update so i did. Then when i did BAM! New internet explorer. I really dont like it they copied firefox. Anyways my problems are:
1: Now everytime i open IE or a new window or anything like that i get the "No connection to the internet is currently available" popup. Not to much of a problem but its annoying.
2: Now i cant access the internet with windows medai player! DAMN IT ALL TO HELL! How am i supposed to downlaod album info for my CDs? Anyone have any tweaks i could do or do i have to wait for the fixes to come out?

Win XP Media Center Edition
Windows Media Player 10 (and i know that WMP10 doesnt have troubles connecting)

Collapse -
As Others In This Forum Have Mentioned...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 14, 2007 11:59 AM PST

..why not simply uninstall IE7 from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section? It should revert back to where you were before.

After that, change you automatic updates to notify you but NOT install... You can then remove IE7 from being reinstalled again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No problems...
by PKsteven / January 14, 2007 2:40 PM PST

so far. Have been using IE 7 a while and all seems sturdy. WMP 11 too, no problem. So far both work better than the priors. However, I still use FireFox for my main browser but IE 7 seems a step up.
Reading all the goods\bads could drive a person to need bifocals. -O-O-

Paul

Collapse -
Ill try that...
by MechaTama VII / January 25, 2007 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: No problems...

Ok ill try uninstalling, but there is a chance that this will leave me without a browser. I can't imagine why this is having a negative effect, I checked to see if maybe it had something to do with windows' firewall but that wasn't it. Wish me luck.

-MechaTamaVII

Collapse -
Why Not Download & Install Firefox First...?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2007 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: Ill try that...
Collapse -
it won't leave you without a browser
by ktreb / January 25, 2007 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: Ill try that...

I tried installing IE 7 twice and ran into problems both times. Simply uninstalling it reverted me back to 6. I'll stick with 6 for the time being.

Collapse -
(NT) BUMP!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2007 1:03 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?