Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer 7

by dungarvon / May 5, 2006 11:47 AM PDT

Has anyone had problems with their computer after downloading Internet Explorer 7?
I was going to try it until I was told by a friend that he's had nothing but problems with his computer since he downloaded it.
I've read that this IE 7 is a beta version which means that all the bugs haven't been worked out yet?
Maybe that might have something to do with my friends computer problems, I don't know.
Just wondering what the public response has been about this new version of IE.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't have it,i use FF...
by tomron / May 5, 2006 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Internet Explorer 7

If you use the search feature you can see numerous threads regarding this matter.

I read many complaints about IE beta

Tom

Collapse -
Internet Explorer 7
by crazeebob2000 / May 5, 2006 12:27 PM PDT

I installed IE7 back in Feb. or March and i've had no trouble whatsoever. I still like Firefox better though.

Collapse -
FoxFire alternative
by scottyat2 / May 6, 2006 6:55 AM PDT

I used FF and it drove me Crazy.
I still wanted IE to be my primary Browser
and FF kept coming up.
I tried to remove FF and the only way I found
was to reformat/delete my Hard Drive
and reinstall winxp.
FireFox was up to 6 months-year ago (now vulnerable to Spyware and Virus attacks more than before) the best Browser as to IE (depending on personal preference/opinion).
But there was also alot said about Opera ... I decided
just to stay with IE, I did give Netscape a try.
I find most things (other programs) I used were most effective using IE6.
Internet Explorer 7 will bring many folks to their knees begging MS to fix the problem just as with ALL
MS Windows/OS.
Bill Gates is in for the Mercy Killing and makes a Huge Fortune from the less fortunate.
Don't buy into VISTA ... you'll be sorry that you ever did... wait another 3-5 years before upgrading your OS.
Win2000 is better than WinXP but then again at least there was a time that MS placed alot of efforts in fixes and managed to make 98SE practically the best Windows OS. Sad to say I have WinXP Home and Pro, on occassion still weird **** happens.
Scripting and Add-Ons of IE6 are things I wished MS would fix.
Good luck with FF.

Collapse -
Personally
by Ahmad Nawaz Cheema / May 5, 2006 10:33 PM PDT

I consider most of Microsoft's products to be in a perpetual beta state. They often get rushed out the door with the attitude that any problems that crop up can be fixed by issuing patches later.

The only good thing I can think of about IE7, is that Microsoft is FINALLY fixing the horribly broken rendering engine in IE6 and bringing it most of the way up to full standards compliance. It will make the lives of web developers the world over so much easier, now that they'll have a more or less proper CSS2 implementation.

Otherwise, all the new features that are supposed to be so great about IE7 have been in Firefox for ages. Opera was doing something like tabbed browsing back in the IE4 days, and Mozilla perfected it. Firefox had the idea to shade the address bar yellow when on an encrypted connection, and idea that has been expanded upon in IE7. Firefox has long had the most complete and standards compliant rendering engine. It can't take the performance crown from Opera, but it's not too shabby.

Finally, since I doubt IE7 will do much to curb the massive spyware/malware problem plaguing IE6, I'll sit on the sidelines and use Firefox. Some day soon, I'll move further onto the sidelines and get myself a nice Mac.

Collapse -
I forgot to mention
by tontoe / May 5, 2006 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Personally

I used to use firefox, I found it to be a load of rubbish,I'de much rather use and did internet explorer 6.

Collapse -
I have been having problems
by tontoe / May 5, 2006 10:48 PM PDT

I downloaded internet explorer 7, the problem I have been having is on one of the forums I go to, if I answer a question my answer takes a while to show up, consequently I sometimes answer twice. I dont know if it applies to this forum, until I submit my answer. There are quite a few people on my other forum having problems after downloading I.E 7.

Collapse -
I'me ok here
by tontoe / May 5, 2006 10:51 PM PDT

My answer showed up right away here, so it could be the other forum at fault I have been getting a script error there as well.

Collapse -
It is in beta....
by Papa Echo / May 6, 2006 2:26 PM PDT

...so problems are expected; even built-in for testing. Let the selected group finish their testing first, then go for the final release. By then, maybe even FF won't make a difference.

Collapse -
This is
by Themisive / May 7, 2006 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: It is in beta....

Why I will not put any product that is still either an Alpha or Beta version on my machine. The main trouble with this type of programme is that it is all too often full of bugs - and I don't mean programme bugs.

I think there is some sort of giude to uninstall it, but also be prepared to run full anti-virus and spyware checks on you machine before you install IE6.

Collapse -
IE7
by Amos16 / May 7, 2006 1:42 AM PDT

If you go to the Browsers forum, or for that matter any other professional forum, you will see loads of problems arising out of IE 7. The usual advice is - go back to your previous browser. And if you haven't done it don't do it - at least a while AFTER it is out of the Beta stage. Amos.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?