Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer 6 screen changed after installing new prog

by rojanack / September 11, 2006 7:54 AM PDT

I volunteer in the computer room at a senior center. I recently installed a program called "Professor teaches Internet Explorer 6", which I thought I could use to help the seniors become familiar with it. The computer has Win 98 and IE 6 SP1. Now, when we open IE, there is no Title Bar, no Menu Bar, no Address Bar at the top of the screen, and no Status Bar/Task Bar at the bottom of the screen. We do see the bar at the top that lets you go backward and forward, but it looks a little different than it did before. It almost makes me think we're running Win XP, but the program was copyrighted in 2001, and I don't know if XP was around then.

The strange thing is, though, once in a while, we do get the older view that we had before, complete with all the bars.

I thought perhaps the bars were being hidden and tried hovering the mouse pointer at the edges of the screen, but no luck.

We also often get an error: IEXPLORE has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 015f:bff7b2e5.

I'd appreciate advice on how I can go about getting IE back to normal. I've thought of uninstalling the program, but it does do a good job of explaining the software, and I would like to keep it if I can.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer 6 screen changed after installing new prog
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer 6 screen changed after installing new prog
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Internet Explorer 6 screen changed after installing new
by Tufenuf / September 11, 2006 8:36 AM PDT

rojanack, If you go into your Control Panel>Add/Remove programs, scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer, hilite it and click the Remove button which should give you 3 options, choose the Repair Option and it should repair IE and hopefully correct the problem.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Links about the f11 key and kiosk mode
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 8:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Links about the f11 key and kiosk mode
by rojanack / September 17, 2006 8:34 AM PDT

Thanks for the help. The F11 key brought me back to the way we used to be.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?