Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer 6 Connecting to ISP

by The_Marine / March 4, 2004 9:48 PM PST

System - Dell 4100 desktop, 348 mb RAM, Windows XP Home, Internet Explorer 6.0.2+, MS Office suite 2000.
Mystery 1 - IE will not initiate connection to the ISP when opened. I have been unable to restore that functionality (worked fine under W98) since installing XP and IE6. Gone through all Internet Options settings in IE (Dial whenever network connection not present, etc)several times. Still, opening IE absent existing connection results in "cannot find page" and working offline. Any ideas?
Mystery 2 - I am probably one of maybe a dozen people who find the MS Office shortcut bar useful, but to me it is indispensable. Since installing XP, I cannot add a button to open the dialup connection to the ISP. It seems that the network connection executable is now buried somewere such that using the shortcut bar "add button" function cannot locate it. Again, no problem under Win98. I did create a shortcut for the network connection to the desktop, but to use it I have to clear to the desktop, then reopen my work screens. What an unnecessary pain. Of course that shortcut cannot be mounted as a button on the shortcut bar because the "path cannot be located". Is there a way to get these Microsoft products to cooperate with each other for a change?

Each day I lean towards Linux more and more. Thanx, RB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer 6 Connecting to ISP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer 6 Connecting to ISP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Internet Explorer 6 Connecting to ISP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2004 10:15 PM PST

The connect to the internet to be triggered by IE is known as a dial on demand. Such is easy to thwart with any number of pop-up stoppers, firewalls and more. If I set the home page to about:blank, it will also not dial.

If the XP has SP1 and more, then I usually just uninstall the firewall, popup stopper and other software that can break it.

As to the Office item, I don't use it and can't offer any insight. We moved to Open Office about a year ago from http://www.openoffice.org

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Internet Explorer 6 Connecting to ISP
by The_Marine / March 5, 2004 1:47 PM PST

Thanks Bob. I have no "defensive" measures such as firewalls or popup software or anything like that in place. IE6 simply refuses to initiate a dialup connection if there is not one present. Used to work under Win98. GoFigger. RB

Collapse -
What's under Tools, Connections?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2004 9:49 PM PST

No less than 5 places to check that it should dial on demand, plus have a home web page that is set to update for content on each view. I hinted about the about:blank, but the same no-dial effect can be had if the cached content settings are perfect.

Bob

Collapse -
Under Tools, Connections is ...
by The_Marine / March 6, 2004 3:17 AM PST

"Dial whenever network connection not present" has always been selected, and under Tools, Connections, Settings nothing is selected in Automatic Configuration and Proxy Server sections, and the user name and password are correct. I am not conversant enough with the subtleties of internet operations to know which of the Tools, Advanced selections may be help or hindrance to my simple dialup connectivity and internet use. I have never established a firewall or invoked any special security setups (other than Norton Anti Virus). Obviously this problem is not critical, but it is certainly annoying. Thanx, RB

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Internet Explorer 6 Connecting to ISP
by Cursorcowboy / March 5, 2004 10:17 PM PST

1. The article [Q305549] explains step-by-step of how to configure a connection to the Internet using the Network Connections tool in Control Panel to establish connectivity between your computer and the Internet, a network, or another computer.

2. The article [Q813444] contains information and procedures used to troubleshoot situations where you cannot connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web sites (https://).

3. The article [Q329441] explains that if you install Service Pack 1 (SP1) and then use the System Restore feature to restore Windows to a state before the installation of the service pack, you may experience this symptom.

4. If IE appears to stop responding (hangs) when opened but the animated globe in the upper-right corner of the browser window continues to spin, look to see if there is a message in the status bar such as Detecting proxy settings... [Q220902].

5. The article [Q314067] explains that there are utilities that can provide useful information when you are trying to determine the cause of TCP/IP networking problems and lists recommendations for use. Although the list is not complete, it does provide examples that show how you can use them to track down problems on the network setup.

Collapse -
Not the situation, but . . .
by The_Marine / March 6, 2004 3:30 AM PST

Thanks for your interest and the wealth of information. The network connection is now and has been set up, and "reset up" by the book several times. The problem is not connectivity to certain web sites, but initiating the dialup connection when IE starts. I have never used the XP system restore function. When I start IE without an existing connection, it simply very quickly opens the "Page cannot be displayed" notice and Done appears in the task bar. It does not even make a pass at attempting to establish a connection. I will explore some of the utilities that are available to see if any are applicable and intuitive enough for me to use without grinding up anything that currently works.
Thanks again very much, RB

Collapse -
Re:Not the situation, but . . .
by Cursorcowboy / March 6, 2004 7:10 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?