Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet explore script error

by Thomo54 / October 28, 2004 11:30 PM PDT

I'm running windows 2000 professional with internet explore 6 & outlook express. Question is: When I try to print my e-mails out a box comes up telling me an error has occurred in the script on this page. This is what the message looks like.
Line: 1344
Char: 1
Error:Unspecified error
Code: 0
URL: res://C:\WINNT\system32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg
Do you want to coninue running script on this page
Yes On

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet explore script error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet explore script error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Internet explore script error
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 9:53 AM PDT

A similar failed script message occurs when I enter some sites using IE.

It started after I downloaded and installed the windows and Office critical update that was implemented to prevent the jpeg security hole that was found recently.

I had assumed that this was something to do with suspect images on those web sites, and haven't bothered with it.

Mark

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 11:03 AM PDT

Thomo,

The problem is normally associated with Internet Explorer and it's relationship with Outlook Express/Outlook. Sometimes, you can change the settings below and it will cure the issue:

While in Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Internet Options", then click on the "Advanced" tab, then UNCHECK the box next to "Enable 3rd party party browser extensions". Now restart Outlook Express or Internet Explorer.

You can also try this:

While in Internet Explorer, click on "View" in the upper left, choose "Encoding", then UNCHECK "Auto Select" by clicking on it IF there is a CHECK there. Restart Internet Explorer.

If nothing else works, try copying and pasting the text of the message to a Word, wordpad, or notepad document. You should be able to print it from there.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by Thomo54 / October 31, 2004 9:38 PM PST

Grif Thomas
Thank you Grif I will try that. Thomo

Collapse -
by Yew / October 31, 2004 9:45 PM PST

While this doesn't solve your problem, it is fair warning to prevent future ones.

Microsoft has come out and said that only WindowsXP (and 2003) will get new IE security patches. All other operating systems will be left out in the cold. Since Outlook Express also uses Internet Explorer, the longer you use them on Win2K the more at risk you put yourself.

Now would be an excellent time to try the Mozilla browser suite, or it's cousins, Firefox and Thunderbird. They should have no problems importing almost all your IE and OE settings. Even better, is that they WILL be updated, unlike IE. New features, security fixes, you name it. No point in upgrading Win2K until Microsoft finally stops releasing ANY security patches for it. Certainly not because of some silly thing like a browser.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.