Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet Error: Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Set..

by OceanGizl / July 16, 2010 3:56 AM PDT

Hi all genius!
I got an error sign whenever I'm logging in to my windows live messenger, Device Manager to search for change and internet explorer browser. I'm currently using the IE 8 and was thinking if it's because of version problem, so I downgraded to IE 7, unfortunately, same problem coming out again. Does anyone has the same problem as mine?

Window System:
Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Error message:
Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\IEPurifier\liveupdate.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Could anyone help pls.. this is kind of an annoying error sign... Thanks all!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Error: Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Set..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Error: Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Set..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks Chinese to me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 6:14 AM PDT

That "IEPurifier" brings up a number of Chinese looking links in Google. Anything Chinese on a computer system that is not from China would look suspect to me.

Tell us about the history of this computer. Have you ever downloaded an IE Purifier? Have you scanned for, and found any viruses or malware?

We often see such 'cannot find' error messages when malware has been deleted and some component is left that is trying to access a deleted file.

Look at your IE Add-ons, (IE > Tools > Manage Add-ons), and see if anything rings a bell.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark for your reply,
by OceanGizl / July 16, 2010 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks Chinese to me

Hi Mark,
Hm.. I don't have the memory on installing an IE Purifier because I just upgraded and installed something on my computer yesterday.

Yes, I just done scanning my computer and only found 25 cookies and fixed. No viruses or malware I guess?

And in my IE Add-ons, I didn't see anything wrong but just some tools are disabled.

What do you think?

Collapse -
Hmm.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 9:20 PM PDT

I'm a little stumped too.

If this error was displaying on Startup, for example, I would suggest you look at the startup files for some entry for this IEPurifier. Or if it was just confined to IE. But you say this occurs when you use Windows Live Messenger and the Device Manager, so that confuses me.

Next steps;

1] Have a look to see if there is a folder called IEPurifier in the path;
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\IEPurifier\

Ahh I have just seen something. Is that the 'actual' path quoted, or have you replaced your XP account name for "Username"? If that path actually says "Username" then that is the name of an XP account that should not usually exist.

Is there anything in that folder that might give a clue what this IEPurifier is?

2] Check your Services to see if there is any entry that looks like IEPurifier or Live Update. To do that goto Start > Run, type in services.msc and click OK. In the new window, click Application and System in turn and look down the listings. To see more for any entry, double click the entry in the list to open a new dialog box.

3] As a matter of interest, just check if any Processes are running that look like this. To do that, right click your Taskbar, select Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and look down the list for any entry like IEPurifier or Liveupdate.

4] You don't says which scanner you used, but I would in any case get a couple more opinions using the free utilities below;

Malwarebytes' Anti-malware, and SUPERAntispyware.

It never harms to scan with other recommended anti-malware scanners.

About IE. When does this error message appear? I mean, when IE is opened, or at specific web sites, or when? The same with WLM, when does this error display, and the same question with the Device Manager.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks for Mark's reply
by OceanGizl / July 21, 2010 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm.

Mark,
1)I am unable to found the "Application Data" and "IEPurifier" folder right after I went to my username.

Yes on the error message, the actual message should be:
Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Settings\Adrianne\Application Data\IEPurifier\liveupdate.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
I just change it to let everyone know what that is.

2) I have follow your step, but I couldn't found "Application and System" on the list or anywhere.

3) I did not found any IEPurifier or Liveupdate or alike in the Porcessor page..

4)Oh! Sorry I forgot to include my scanner, this is Norton I'm using.

About the error message, it always appear when I start a IE browser, switch to a new tab, logging in the WLM, and when I open the Device Manager..etc. Sometimes, it pop up even when I'm not moving or scanning around in the website.. I believe it isn't just pop up in the specific website or page, but recently, I only found it happen in where I mention above.

Thanks Mark again for your help and I'm sorry to reply to you so late, since I just get back to work and check it up with your steps in the company PC!

Collapse -
Between all those Chinese looking sites ...
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2010 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Looks Chinese to me
Collapse -
Thanks Kees for your reply.
by OceanGizl / July 21, 2010 7:00 AM PDT

Hi Kees,
Thank you very much for your help. But unfortunately, I'm using a Windows XP system..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.