Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Internet Dropping out...but only for like 15 sec at a time..

by DaniMcHUGE / April 23, 2015 1:23 AM PDT

So, my roommate went and bought us a new router/modem for our internet this model, apparently is a 2 in 1 its a: Netgear AC1750 with a Router Built in, the Router Model is: C6300, but even prior to the replacement of it, I have been having random dropouts of internet service probably about 7-10x an hour but only for about 30 seconds - 2 minutes but as you all may know, this is becoming rather aggrivating, especially when raiding with my Guild >.> Healers FTW. And I'm beginning to think that it's not really an issue with the ISP itself, but rather something in our Router configuration or network settings.

He doesn't really experience it since he's not on the Internet as much as I am (I am a student and I work online. ) so I'm clearly experiencing the disruptions more than he is. But we've tried doing hard resets on the modem/router, and I've just about feel like he just doesn't know what the possible issue could be, and although I know this is Vague I am willing to share more details if they are needed.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,

Danielle

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Dropping out...but only for like 15 sec at a time..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Dropping out...but only for like 15 sec at a time..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Step 1.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2015 1:33 AM PDT

There's always a step 1. It's simple. Get wired to tell if it's the WiFi issue or not.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Wireless/Wired Problems.
by DaniMcHUGE / April 23, 2015 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Step 1.

Sorry I should have clarified this much earlier. I was actually experiencing the dropouts, while being Wired, not wireless. By default, I use an ethernet connection thats plugged directly into the Netgrear Model/Router. I did e-mail my roommate and ask if he'd changed anything specifically on the network and he told me that he disabled the 2.4 Ghz Channels since "We" weren't using them. So before this, I tried to connect wirelessly because my wireless card was just detecting "other network" and not connecting but showing a full strength signal. Well I went into our router settings and re-enabled the 2.4 Ghz signal channels, and low and behold my wireless card instantly detected the network Name and connected, and my Wired connection also connected to that same network instantaneously. When before it was connecting but it wasnt connecting to the network under the listed SSID - just "Network 10." I'm not a tech Guru but I am wondering if perhaps my computer needs to have the 2.4 Ghz channels active....in order to keep a steady connection.

Collapse -
That's not good (wired and wireless both enabled.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2015 2:12 AM PDT

Sorry but I can't help here as that's invalid. You would experience problems if the wired and wireless is enabled. Why this is has prior discussions.

As to 2.4 and such channels, wired should be stable, if not there are issues with either the machine or the router and ISP. Enabling both muddies it further so I can't help.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2015 2:13 AM PDT

If your PC is connected to WiFi and you plug in the Ethernet at the same time, that's odd and not supportable.

It's fine to enable WiFi on routers but if you can do without, it's usually more stable unless there are issues with ISP, router/modem or PC.

Collapse -
re:
by DaniMcHUGE / April 23, 2015 2:23 AM PDT

No, I don't think you are understanding. Let me try and clarify: There are two issues 1. My wifi and ethernet connections not connecting to my SSID Home network name (SOLVED THIS) 2. The random small drops in Internet service (NOT solved)

Usually, I only have my ethernet cable plugged in and ONLY my ethernet cable plugged in.

The drops were happening when my PC was ONLY wired into the router - at this point I noticed that the Network, was called, "Network 10" and was not the original SSID we had set up.

So I looked at my phone, which connects wirelessly and it was connecting to the original SSID we had setup.

So I decided to enable my Wireless adapter and disable my ethernet cable to see if the new connection with wireless would work and it didn't. My wireless card in my PC was only detecting an "OTHER" network, but it had full signal.

After this, I called my roommate to ask which changes he had made, he had said that he disabled the 2.4 Channels since they were not in use. I then, relogged into our router and re-enabled the 2.4 Channels, and my Wireless card was now detecting our Wireless network with the proper SSID . This is where issue #1 is solved.

Thinking that it might be something with the channels since now my Ethernet connection is showing up as connected under the Proper SSID and not "Network 10" I thought the solution had been found, but as it turns out, I just had another interruption in service.

So the problem still remains that my service keeps getting really small drops in service.

Collapse -
RE:
by DaniMcHUGE / April 23, 2015 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

WHILE only being connected to either Wireless, or Wired. Not both at the same time.

Collapse -
Then it's still PC, modem/router or ISP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2015 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

If all devices are dropping it's not the PC. If it's just the PC then you need to examine the PC.

There's so much malware that I can't dismiss that. Details are still slim here as carrier, what scans you did, make/model age of PC and more.

Try Grif's scans in the meantime and dump a HIJACKTHIS log for me to see if that has anything odd in it.
Grif -> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5509131.html?tag=posts;msg5509131
Bob

Collapse -
this seems fairly obvious
by James Denison / April 23, 2015 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

There's another router nearby that's overpowering your router on the same channel. Turn off your router and check for other signals using your computer's wifi, make a record of the SSID and channels used for the strongest, more than 50% signal strength. One of those on the same channel could be causing the interference.

Next, turn your router back on, connect by wire to it, and open it's programming using your browser. It should be some address like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.100.1 or some other, consult the manual that came with it. Look to see who all is connected to it, and it should show anyone that's been connected during a standard "lease" period. A router gives a connection a timed "lease" and if it's no longer active after that, drops it.

You may discover someone else is on it, piggybacking your signal, wirelessly. He may even have a router he's set up to be an access point bridged to yours. If so, then set the router to where it can control devices by their MAC address and block the MAC of whomever is stealing bandwidth from you. See firewall for that.

How can this happen? If you don't set WEP at least and preferably and especially in a campus situation where savvy computer users are all around you should use WPA encryption, then anyone can take a ride on your router and they may even have set the QOS (quality of service) settings to favor their use over yours.

Finally, check in the wireless section, turn the wifi strength of the router's signal down till you can use it but when further away you discover the signal strength is too weak. That lowers the ability of someone in a room or home nearby from using it, while still allowing you who is closer to connect without problems.

So;
1) use encryption for connections
2) use open channel, not one others are using, further the number away the better
3) limit wifi signal strength to just your area or footprint's usability
4) actively block any MAC address that's been using your router to connect to internet
5) You can also limit bandwidth speed for wifi from the router so the wired will have priority on speed

You have your homework cut out for this one!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?