Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet down with certain users within the same computer

by miamishaps / December 9, 2008 11:38 AM PST

Strange problem, cannot connect to the internet under the main user of a Dell Dimension 8200. Using a linksys router, my remote laptop can surf no problem. When i change to another user on the same computer, the internet connects no problem. Using DSL with ATT and they cannot diagnose the issue. can still ping the ip address through DOS and everything looks like its there when looking for the connection yet the internet will not connect even to the modem. Also firefox wont connect either so i dont think its an internet explorer problem per se.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet down with certain users within the same computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet down with certain users within the same computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by pbjtime00 / December 9, 2008 11:55 AM PST

1) You say you cannot connect to the internet.
Do you mean you can't connect to your router, or you're unable to visit a web page?
2) You say "can still ping the ip address through DOS and everything looks like its there"
Do you mean you can ping the internal IP address of the computer that can not connect to the internet? What can you ping? Why is it so difficult to be clear and specific?
3) You say "yet the internet will not connect even to the modem.", but then how can you ping anything? It would say hardware error or something like that.

Try the following:
1) On the computer that can NOT connect, try "ping". Write down specifically what happens. Let me know.
2) On the same computer, try "ping" and write down specifically what happens.
3) Look at your network connections folder. Does your network connection say it's connected? enabled? disabled? or what?

When you're through, report back to me and I'll tell you where your problem is.

Collapse -
RE: be specific
by miamishaps / December 10, 2008 9:53 AM PST

Sorry, nothing to do with the router, ie. when the router is taken out of the picture still no connection to the internet(ie. websites, or even to the modem address) depending on which user profile is logged in on the computer.

when i said ping, i believe we(ATT DSL Guy and me) pinged my own address listed under ipconfig under the dos screen

when i say the computer wont connect to the modem, when i launch int explorer or mozilla firefox and type in the ipaddress of the computer which should bring up the settings of the modem, we get the old error page cannot be displayed.

Right now Im in the user profile where nothing works(typing on my laptop connected wirelessly through the router)

google ping:

reply from bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=242
repeat 3 more times above
packets sent=4, rec=4, lost=0
20ms roundtrip with range 20 to 21

reply from bytes=32 time=45ms ttl=47
repeat 3 more times
same thing as above, 4 sent 4 received, round trip time 44ms

im assuming you mean the network connection icon in control panel
the local area connection says connected, firewalled
cnet pro200wl pci fast ethernet adapter
ip address should i post this online is it safe?
subnet mask blah blah
assigned by DHCP

when i switch to the user profile where the internet connects all the settings seem the same. i can connect to the router with this profile but not with the above broken user profile fyi.

sorry if i wasnt specific enough but i thought i was.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?