Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet Disconnection

by apollo808 / June 27, 2005 11:56 AM PDT

Hey I am having an annoying problem that I can't seem to fix. My internet keeps booting me like every five minutes. I don't think its my router, because its happened with three different lynxs routers. Two wireless B and one standard router. Therefore I also don't think its my network card. It worked fine on the standard router and it worked fine on the two networks. Now everyime I log on to my game, explorer or AIM, I get booted five minutes later. So I don't think its a specific program either. I am also running Kerio firewall and AVG, and I have no viruses. Any suggestions? Any more info you need that would help? I try to disable and enable my wireless connection and it doesnt help. The antenna icon show full strength. PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Disconnection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Disconnection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One other thing.
by apollo808 / June 27, 2005 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet Disconnection

Oh yeah, I have to reboot to get my connection to come back...only to have it fail a few minutes later.

Collapse -
Two Things...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 28, 2005 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: One other thing.

..(your operating system would help give us a little more information)..

1. Try downloading and running the Winsock fix from the link below. It works for all operating systems.:

Winsockfix

2. Try running the IEFix utility from the link below:

IEFix Utility

3. Ooops, maybe another thing...Download and install a secondary browser to see if it makes a difference. The free Firefox is one that a number of users here like a lot:

Firefox Browser Download

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
XP
by apollo808 / June 28, 2005 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Two Things...

I am running XP Pro 02 w/ Service Pack 2. What exactly do those programs do? I am pretty sure its not my web browser, considering my AIM and online video game all dump out at the same time.

Collapse -
Ok...ran Winsock.
by apollo808 / June 28, 2005 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: XP

Alright, I downloaded the file and ran the program. Here goes nothing! I'll come back if it doesn't work.

Collapse -
Winsock
by apollo808 / June 28, 2005 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok...ran Winsock.

Ok that didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Apollo, I Suggested Two Other Options..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 28, 2005 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Winsock

Did you try them...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No, but I guess I will.
by apollo808 / June 29, 2005 6:29 AM PDT

The problem I am having isn't anything listed under the symptoms of IEfix. Also, I said earlier that my internet gets cut out from AIM. That has nothing to do with IE does it? Ill try them out too, either way I guess. I'll let you know how it goes.

Collapse -
More problems now...
by apollo808 / June 29, 2005 8:05 AM PDT

So I ran IEfix and I ran into a problem. Now its asking me for the iexplorer.exe file off of the WinXP Pro Service Pack2 CD, which I don't have, and never had. So I couldn't continue. I canceled what I was doing. And I had to restart my computer, and now it says IE6 has been removed from the computer everytime I boot up. However, I can still get on IE explorer. How do I fix that problem? And where do I get iexplorer.exe?

Collapse -
One other thing, while Im at it.
by apollo808 / June 29, 2005 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: More problems now...

I have a ton of programs running in my background apparently...some of which I don't know what they are.
taskmgr.ede, iexplore.exe, wuauclt.exe, wanmpsvc.exe, wdfmgr.ese, kpf4ss.ese, avgupsvc.ese, avgamsvr.exe, acsd.exe, explorer.exe, ati2evxx.exe, kpf4gui.exe, ipodservice.exe, avgemc.exe, svchost.exe, avgcc.exe, svchost.exe, svchost.exe, svchost.exe atiptaxx.exe, svchost.exe, ati2evxx.exe, lsass.exe, service.exe, ituneshelper.exe, winlogon.exe, alg.exe, csrss.exe, smss.exe, kpfhui.exe, agrsmmsg.exe, system, system idle process That all of them. Seems like a lot of junk running in the background. This is all right after startup and I opened IE, thats it.

Collapse -
No go on Firefox
by apollo808 / June 29, 2005 8:26 AM PDT

Firefox doesn't help...although I will try it out now as my default browser. Since running IEfix, I am now getting disconnected faster then before. I still have the message on reboot that says, IE6 has been removed from this computer, do you want to permenatly save these changes or something. So I click no, because obviously, clicking yes will mess me up even more. Please help me. Also, what I find really weird about this whole thing, is that it works fine for a few minutes, then it stops every single time.

Collapse -
Apollo, You'll Need To Get An XP CD OR...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 29, 2005 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: More problems now...

..you you can download the full Windows XP SP2 installer from the link below. You can even do this on another user's computer, copy the large file to a CD, then run it on your machine. It should reinstall Internet Explorer 6 SP2 and fix the error. IMPORTANT: The downloaded SP2 installer file is LARGE, about 270 MB, so you'll need a broadband connection for the download. Here's the link:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
K
by apollo808 / June 29, 2005 10:04 AM PDT

Ok, I'm going to try it now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Collapse -
Having trouble finishing the download.
by apollo808 / June 29, 2005 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: One other thing.

Computer keeps cutting me off around 50%...gonna have to try getting the file from work tomorrow. I found this too, http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101214.asp
Think that might be causing some problems? I do have it setup to WPA I think. I require a 26 character password to connect. And that is my wireless device.

Collapse -
More information.
by apollo808 / June 29, 2005 1:00 PM PDT

Turns out my cordless phone is transmitting on the same frequency. That is no longer an issue. I am still expeirencing the problem though. I did the service pack 2 thing, and that didn't help. Anymore more suggestions?
Oh and now, my IE doesn't work either.

Collapse -
SP2
by apollo808 / June 30, 2005 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: More information.

Ok, what I did this time was uninstall service pack two completely. Then it messed up my resolution and everything for my ATI card. So I reinstalled SP2 and then downloaded all my drivers that I needed. My internet stayed on from midnight till 8:45 this morning. I will check when I get home this afternoon if its still on or not.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Keep Up The Good Work...Progress Is Being Made !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 30, 2005 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: SP2
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.