Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Internet Disconnect

by Birstall / January 17, 2006 2:10 AM PST

I am operating a two computer network.
The Fujitsu laptop has XP Pro, the Sony desktop uses XP Home. All the XP updates are installed.

Both computers are connected wirelessly to a Microsoft router and then a Belkin broadband modem to the Internet.

The laptop works flawlessly however, the Sony desktop will lose the Internet connection every few minutes. After a short while it will reconnect.

I do not think its a wireless problem since I can still connect to the Sony through the wireless router.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am fairly computer literate but I would need some guidance if error reports etc. are needed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Disconnect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Disconnect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
its wireless
by YambaG / January 17, 2006 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: Internet Disconnect

well if your desktop is wireless then YEs it is a wireless issue wireless technology just isnt very reliable yet what kind of wireless card is in the desktop? not a linksys pci card im hoping lol ive had trouble with this i tried 2 different wireless cards same issue went with the wireless external adapter and dont have anymore intermittent issues could be due to interference though in the area of your desktop or something obstructing the antenna or even could be xp if youre using a linksys card i had to remove the linksys software and just use the windows wireless setup to solve this issue a few times

Collapse -
by Birstall / January 17, 2006 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: its wireless

Thanks for replying, I do appreciate your input.

I think you are right since on reflection, I would get kicked off the desktop for no apparent reason even though I had gone into the registry and changed the timeout period.

The fact that you mentioned some interference, has made me wonder if the wireless mouse and keyboard were having an effect. Nevertheless, I will buy a new ethernet card and hard wire it to the router.

Thanks once more.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?