Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Internet connectivity is random

I have a modem (Next Level Communications) that will randomly connect to the internet, and will go out anytime. The lights on the modem are Power, System, Line, LAN, and Data.

When the internet works, the Power light is green, system is dark, Line is bright green, lan is orange, and data flashes green.

When it doesn't work, the Power light is green, system is dark, line is dark, lan is orange, and data is dark.

I tried calling tech support, and everything they suggested didn't work, so they said the modem was defective and that they would replace it free of charge. The new modem does the exact same thing.

I would really appreciate some help in fixing this! Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connectivity is random
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connectivity is random
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
edit

In reply to: Internet connectivity is random

EDIT: Resetting the modem will turn the internet back on in an hour or so, but then it will stop connect at a random time (an hour, usually)

The model number is E1012, if that's any help. I can't find the manual online.

Collapse -
Let me see

In reply to: edit

setup Manual or whatever you want to call it, can be found here

http://www.kevinjs.info/dslmodems/Next%20level/E1012.pdf

Basically you have ADSL. You need to Have filters on everything, phone, answering machine, faxes, etc., except the Modem itself.

You may share a filter

wall > filter > splitter > multiple devices.

So if one of the lines doesn't have a filter, the this could be part of the problem.

I don't understand the part about dial-up. So if this is some type of dialup configuration, if you have call waiting on the line, you have to dusable it or get disconnected.

Maybe you can explain a with a little more details so we can help you. Since it is hard to even find the ISP you're using or is it just the manufacturer of the modem?

Rick

I'm confused, also.

Collapse -

In reply to: Let me see

About the dial up...
The little screen comes up, and first says 'Opening port' and then 'Dialing...'

We go through our local telephone company for internet, and it can't be the modem since I've replaced it and it's does the same thing.

I think that's about all I can say...

How do I put a filter on one of the lines?

Collapse -
Try running

In reply to: ...

Collapse -

In reply to: Try running

'Internet Explorer 7 is not supported'

Collapse -
Then...

In reply to: ...

get out your disk and out it in the cd rom.

click start, run or hit the Windows Key and the r key at the same time.

type

sfc /scannow (space between the c and the /)

This should fix any files that are mising.

Rick

Collapse -
another edit

Also, every so often a small window will pop up saying 'Connecting dial-up connection..." and underneath it says 'Dialing..." and makes a sort of clicking noise like it's trying to connect, but nothing ever happens.

Collapse -
I am confused.

In reply to: another edit

You have broadband or dialup? (or maybe VPN with broadband? If broadband, what kind?

Collapse -
Start from the root of the problem

Have you had a technician come out to see if the forward and return levels are good?
Low return can cause intermittent connectivity. If you already swapped out the modem, this points to the cable lines to me.
Im not sure about DSL but I'm sure its all pretty much the same when it starts off from the tap(where your ISP is connected).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.