Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Internet connectivity, but no http,https,pop3,ftp access????

by rboisvert771 / October 25, 2008 10:32 PM PDT

I don't think this is necessarily a networking issue, but probably an internal system issue. I can remotely connect to an offsite computer system via pcanywhere and that computer system has a proxy server that it has connection with(uses to process credit cards), so I know the internet connection is fine. However, they can't browse with IE, can't even access the routers configuration page and can't get any emails. There is a video security company that maintains the router and they're telling me that none of their settings/firewall would be blocking any of that. I've checked the ipconfig and all is fine, it is setup for dhcp to automatically get ips. I've checked the firewall to make sure it wasn't blocking any of those programs and have completely turned it off to see if that helps. I've done a system restore before the last windows update and none of that's helped. Any suggestions on what might cause this? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connectivity, but no http,https,pop3,ftp access????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connectivity, but no http,https,pop3,ftp access????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: can't access Internet
by Kees Bakker / October 25, 2008 10:38 PM PDT

Now get into your car and go to that offsite computer. Can you browse there (when you login locally)? Or can't you browse there either? Then contact the guy who did the setup of that offsite computer.

Kees

Collapse -
can't access internet
by rboisvert771 / October 26, 2008 1:22 AM PDT

I have a manager there onsite and he can't get on the internet. This system has been setup for years without a problem and then all of a sudden no browser, no email, antivirus program can't go out and get updates, etc. Also, we can't access the router by putting in the ip address, but that can be pinged as can the dns server. I've spoken with a couple of computer folks and they're kind of at a loss too. They suggested maybe a virus or a corrupt file in winsock. And, like I said, restoring to a previous windows setup didn't help.

Collapse -
Re: can't access Internet.
by Kees Bakker / October 26, 2008 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: can't access internet

Things to try:

1. IEFIX (free download) might fix it

2. WINSOCKFIX (free download) might fix it

3. See if you can get a laptop working using the same connection (same network cable, so same router, same modem, same ISP, same everything).

4a. If another machine works, it's this machine. Try it somewhere else. If it doesn't work their either, it's time for a clean install of the OS. Then it should work as it always did.

4b. If you can't get another machine working, it's the cable, the router, the modem, the ISP or whatever outside the machine.

When everything is working again, it's time to get thinking about a better IT staff or better outsourced support (don't know, of course, how things within your company are organized). This should be routine for them.

Kees

Collapse -
can't access the internet
by rboisvert771 / October 26, 2008 7:25 AM PDT

Thanks, Kees.
We do have a another system on this network with connection through the same router and ISP. It's a video security camera system but also has internet connectivity for us to view remotely. So, it is definitely something inside this other machine. I'll try the free downloads and see what happens.

As far as the advise on getting a new IT staff, we are a fairly small restaurant management company with an IT staff consisting of me(a staff accountant) and some outside consulting video security and POS techs. No real organized IT staff to speak of. But this hardly seems like a routine problem for pcs and doesn't seem to have a real logical explanation for it.

Collapse -
What I meant.
by Kees Bakker / October 27, 2008 7:35 AM PDT

The way to handle this should be routine.
1. Do a few well-known fixes
2. If that doesn't help, find out if it is the machine or the environment.
3. If it's the machine, find the disaster plan and do what the chapter "replacing the server in case of failure" says. That's using a Ghost image or a well-known fixed setup from scratch on other hardware and restoring the backup.

In cases like this, one suspects malware. So that means a re-assessment of the protection being used.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?