HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet connection speed: dail up

by newnerd / February 24, 2006 8:53 AM PST

I have just purchased a new computer. It is connecting at various, though mostly all slow, rates. These vary from 19, 20, 21, 23, 25, 33 to a rare 48.

I plug in the same phone line that was plugged into my older computer which connects at 48-53.

Is there a simple solution to this vexing problem.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connection speed: dail up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connection speed: dail up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dial-Up Checks
by lateball / February 24, 2006 10:39 PM PST

These are some checks which you can do on Windows XP:

# MODEM SETUP CHECK
- Go to "Phone and Modem Options" in Control Panel
- Open the Modems tab, right click on your dial-up modem and choose Properties
- On the Modem tab, ensure that the Maximum Port Speed is as high as possible
- On the Advanced tab, go to Advanced Port Settings and set all sliders to High

# CONNECTION SETUP CHECK
- Go to "Network Connections" in Control Panel
- Select your dial-up connection and choose Properties
- In the General tab click Configure and enable all three Modem Features
- In the Options tab, do not check "Include Windows logon domain", sometimes it helps

That's about what you can do configuration-wise. The speed of a dial-up connection depends very much on the modem and phone line quality, so if the line is busy (many people in your area are using the telephone network's lines at the moment or the phone number you're dialing to access your dial-up network is currently being used by many other users) or not too good you may not get high speeds. It is unstable and there are so many factors out there which can contribute to the overall speed you get.

Collapse -
beyond the good suggestion above you can also check for a
by Berfert / February 24, 2006 10:43 PM PST

firm ware update to the modem. This clear my wife?s dial-up problems a few years ago. You might have to investigate who made the modem or if store/chain (Dell, HP, etc) purchased try the vendor website for updates.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.