Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet connection shutting off.

by BTDM / December 12, 2010 7:47 PM PST

Recently, I have been having my internet shut off and the only way I am able to get it back is to restart my computer.
I'm not sure what happens, but when I try and play an on-line game, or download updates for said game, my internet just shuts off.
I can't disable it in the Device Manager window when this happens either, it just locks up.
I read that it might be the integrated Ethernet on my mother board being unable to handle all the incoming connections or something like that, but I don't really know what causes it.
I am running an nForce chipset, the motherboard is an Asus M3N-HT.
On a side note, I am unable to update any drivers for it. Every time I try, it drops to 640x480 and I cannot change the settings. I have to roll back the drivers to make it work properly again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connection shutting off.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connection shutting off.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this running some TORRENT?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 2:42 AM PST

"handle all the incoming connections" is the only clue you might be running some torrent software.

Tell a little more.

As to drivers, tell HOW you update them. To start with, do not use the Windows Update or the Update Driver button in Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
Very rarely.
by BTDM / December 13, 2010 4:59 AM PST

The update software for the on-line game is torrent based, but that portion of the software rarely runs. Only when there is a major patch/update for the game. The update software will work for about 15 minutes before my connection is shut off. I never really download anything, I would know if uTorrent was running.

From what I was told, a reason my internet might be dying is because it is receiving all the player information at once for all the players near me. Not sure how true this is, just the only logical answer I've heard about what might be happening, because it happens all the time with high population on-line games. Not just the one. The only solution I can come to with this, is that I might want to try and buy a different network adapter.

About the drivers, the last time I tried (it's been almost two years since my last attempt) I went over to nVidia's website and downloaded the appropriate drivers for my hardware and used their .exe launcher to run them. The install will run just fine, then after the forced restart everything is all messed up.

Do you think it could have something to do with my operating system being Windows XP 64-bit?

Thanks again for the future help!

Collapse -
That helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Very rarely.

XP 64 is something best abandoned. I know some won't give that up but the brutal truth that I wish could be delivered with kindness is it was never well supported.

-> It's also known that the drivers on the Nvidia site may do that on LAPTOPS and boards with onboard video so it's very important to share details like the OS and if you don't use the maker's drivers when a post is made about this. I see the motherboard noted so unless this is some addon video card, stick with the drivers from asus.com.

Collapse -
Thanks.
by BTDM / December 13, 2010 6:49 PM PST
In reply to: That helped.

Both my video card and my motherboard are from ASUS, so I will try their drivers instead. There isn't much I can do about my OS, other then going back to WinXp 32-bit. I have no means to get Vista or Windows 7.
Any information on what could be causing my internet to cut out? No one seems to be able to figure it out.

Collapse -
Just the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2010 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks.

XP 64 support being what it is and "was" means we have to take whatever they give us or if we find a card not working we have to decide to change this, that, try other drivers or change the OS. I see you understand this.

The TORRENT use is now causing denial of service attacks which is why I asked. If you find a torrent user with dropping connections you know why but they often don't want to know or accept it. It's worth asking so you know if you can help.

-> The drivers to try are the maker's offered versions. I've lost count when that works and the later ones fail. Being XP64 limits our options.
Bob

Collapse -
Hmm
by BTDM / December 14, 2010 8:13 PM PST
In reply to: Just the usual.

Do you think purchasing a new network card might fix the issue? Or is my best bet to reformat, install Xp 32-bit, and pray that it doesn't keep happening?

Collapse -
Worth a try and cheap too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2010 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm

A new network card is under 10.
And if you wanted to try XP 32 and keep your XP 64 you could save an image to some USB external drive with CLONEZILLA (hint, nod, recommended!)

Sounds like costs are minimal except for the time to invest.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.