Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

internet connection sharing w/ USB ADSL modem & sep router

Hi,

I'm in the process of planning to set up a home network. I have 2 desktop PCs and a laptop. I bought a wireless router/switch
(http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MR814.php) on ebay and I'll be getting a free ADSL modem
(http://www.dlink.com.au/products/broadband/dsl200/) when I sign up with my ISP.

The modem has only a USB interface, not an RJ-45, so I figured what I would do is hook it up to one of the PCs, then use that PC's network card to connect to the router and share the internet connection that way using MS Windows's Internet Connection sharing utility. I talked to some friends with a bit more networking experience who said that it wouldn't work that way, that I would be better off getting an ADSL modem with an RJ-45 interface and plugging it directly into the router/switch. Is it possible to do it the way I've been planning (hook the USB modem into one PC and connect the PC's network card to the router, in order to share the internet connection) or am I better off looking for a new modem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: internet connection sharing w/ USB ADSL modem & sep router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: internet connection sharing w/ USB ADSL modem & sep router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That would be a kludge...

In reply to: internet connection sharing w/ USB ADSL modem & sep router

It should work, but it may be a challenge getting it configured properly. You'll have to struggle with multiple IP subnets as the ICS system shares the connection with the router, which will then distribute the connection a second time through a different subnet. Furthermore, with ICS that computer must be on whenever another system wishes to access the internet.

If you can, push your ISP to give you a different modem, one with an RJ45 ethernet connection. That will have two advantages. First, this sharing problem will go away. Second, your connection will be more stable as you won't be relying on a USB connection. The idea of USB networking was cobbled together by the DSL modem industry as a means of connecting to older computers that had only USB ports and no ethernet ports. They thought they would save the consumers from having to open their computers and install a network card. Instead, they saddled the consumers with an unstable connection through a device that was not designed to do that. Most newer computers have ethernet ports now, and the USB-only modems are drifting into obsolence.

dw

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: That would be a kludge...

Yikes, that sounds like a bit of work. The ISP offers a combo ADSL modem/router for an extra $70 AUD, and though it doesn't have wireless capability I may as well go for that one, I think. If I decide to add a wireless access point later does that plug in to one of the router ports?

Thanks for that answer, it was very helpful. It seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth only to save a few bucks.

Collapse -
Turning off the routers....

In reply to: Thanks!

DHCP service and allowing it's use as a simple gateway, should work with ICS as the IP dispenser.

Collapse -
Correction....

In reply to: Turning off the routers....

that should be "simple router" not "simple gateway".

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.