Question

Internet Connection Problems

Sorry if this is not the place to post this.. I just thought CNET might be my best bet!

Also, sorry in advance for my complete lack of knowledge about anything computer related. I promise I'm not as dumb as I will inevitably sound.

My roommate and I (and everyone in our apartment building) were having problems with our internet. We would lose connection for extended periods of time. After about a month of the issue, Charter finally figured out the issue (too many people on a node or something). Since then, the internet has been working fine.

However, once or twice a day, to get the internet to connect... we 1) have to go into our "manage network settings" and remove our network, 2) we then have to unplug the modem and the router for about 30 seconds, 3) when we re-connect the devices and try to connect to our network... the first time we try it fails and says "unable to connect" before we are prompted to enter our password. But the second time we try, we are able to enter our passwords and connect to the internet.

Again, we have to go through this EXACT process at least once a day to use the internet. We have the same problem on two Windows based computers, one Mac, and one Think Pad.

Does anyone have any insight? I know this is a really odd problem.. but hopefully it can be fixed by simply changing a setting? We think something may have gotten messed up during our problems with Charter.

Thanks for any help! It would be much appreciated. Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Internet Connection Problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Internet Connection Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Me too.

I had a brand spanking new laptop and it was doing nearly the same thing. I had to check with the maker's web site and it had a new wifi driver. All better now.

There is no reason this could be your issue. But then again, there is very little shared about your machine.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Wireless router Issue

This looks like an wireless router issue, may I know which router they have installed. Some routers are pretty old and you have to update the firmware. You can find this article for wireless router login issues

CNET Forums