Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Internet connection problem

by nat1107 / June 5, 2008 2:24 AM PDT

Hi. I have a internet connect problem that needs some advice.

I have just bought a new Acer desktop PC that came with Vista home basic. My internet connection was fine for abt 2 wks when i suddently lost connection. All check done showed that its not hardware problem (modem ok, lan cable ok, signal ok. running short of ideas, i did a sytem restore and it returned to normal. However, on the next day, the internet connection was lost again and i need to do a system restore again. so practically, i am doing a system restore everyday in order to get online. I was told it might be the auto update that is causing the problem. To fix this, I have turn the auto update to OFF, my Norton was disabled and i turn Windows Defender autoscan to OFF asw ell. However, the problem persist. When i checfk the update history, it continue to show that update was being "successfully" installed dispite me turning the auto update off.

I need advise on this matter. Is it likely due to updates that are causing the mess ? If so, i have already turn autoupdate off but why is it still secretly installing updates (the updates were windows defender definition files. If no, what else can I do about this..

Any advise is greatly appreciate. Thanks a million.

Nat

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connection problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connection problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the connection Wifi, Ethernet, DialUp, other?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 4:12 AM PDT

Some details are missing.

Collapse -
Its Ethernet connection
by nat1107 / June 5, 2008 4:16 PM PDT

Its ethernet broadband connection using a LAN cable. Thanks

Collapse -
Given only this. Make it a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 11:37 PM PDT

Your post doesn't have the detail to nail it so let's make it a warranty issue. Your machine looks fairly new so let it fail then call it in.

Collapse -
A few questions...
by Soul Raven / June 7, 2008 2:15 PM PDT

It all depends on how you're connecting to the internet. It most likely will not end up being a hardware issue thus your warranty will not cover it.

1) Are you using wireless or wired?
2) If wired are you using DSL or Dialup?
3) What antivirus software are you using, and are you using more than one?
4) Does the antivirus software included a firewall?

First thing you're going to want to try is "Power Cycling" your router. Which simply means shutting everything down. After five minutes of being off you will want to power on each device one by one. First you will power on your modem, then your router, and then your PC.

Next, you will want to ensure that you are being assigned an IP Address for your internet connection. To do this you will need to access the command prompt.

=====
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING
=====
1) In the "Start Search" bar type CMD and do not hit enter. At the top of the search you should see a program labeled CMD.
2) Right click on it and select "Run as administrator". A black window should open with a blinking cursor.
3) Next you will need to type the following commands and hit enter after each one.
CD C:\USERS\%USERNAME%\DESKTOP
IPCONFIG /ALL >IPCONFIG.TXT
4) This will put you in the desktop folder and create a text file with all the output information. This will give us a better look at your network connection.
5) Next you will need to type the following commands and hit enter after each one.
IPCONFIG /RELEASE
IPCONFIG /RENEW
NETSH WINSOCK RESET
6) After the last command completes you will need to restart the computer. If you're connected wirelessly that will most likely have resolved your connection issue.

However, without any detailed information I'm sort of in the dark. If you could please paste the contents of that TXT file to this thread when you have the opportunity that would be great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?