Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

internet connection keeps droping out

by Nen15 / January 15, 2009 11:21 AM PST

hi, my computer uses a D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless network card to access my network. i have a linksys amd300 as my modem for adsl2 which is then connected to a d-link DI-624. recently i have changed a few of the router settings for both of them (trying to forward a few ports ect.) but in the end i must have done something wrong because i could no longer access the internet on my computer thats connected through wirelessly. to fix this i just reset the routers back to factory settings (basicly what i did when i first got them and was seting them up) which allowed me to access the internet again but now for some reason i can not figure out why i lose sync to the net every few minutes even though i have good signal strength. it only last for a two or three seconds then it reconnects. in my network sharing center it shows that my connection to the dlink is fine but my connection to the net drops out. My connection was working perfictly fine before i started to fiddle with the settings so iam assuming it isnt a hardware issue or a firmware issue (have updated them though since). iam using windows vista 32bit. i was wondering what steps i could take to try and solve the problem because it is effecting my programs that require a uniterrupted connect. thanks for any help you can provide.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: internet connection keeps droping out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: internet connection keeps droping out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: internet connection keeps droping out
by C_Jones / January 19, 2009 9:14 AM PST

The only thing I can think of is that you might have some RF interference. Wireless networks usually run at 2.4GHz and anything else that is close to that most of the time overpowers it. Some RF sources could be from a wireless phone, microwave, TV's, etc.

Collapse -
Other wifi networks ?
by fihart / January 19, 2009 5:56 PM PST

To expand slightly on the post above, you might want to look for neighbouring wifi networks (the wireless adapter utility should scan for them -- or download something like NetStumbler).

If by resetting your router you have reset the channel you may have placed yourself within interefernce from neighbours -- note that wireless channels overlap so you need to select a channel five stops away from the strongest neighbour.

Collapse -
Chosing a channel
by hir1199 / January 20, 2009 10:27 AM PST

I have a wireless internet router. Is there any way to see which channels are being used by other wireless networks around me. I am concerned that I keep losing my internet connection because of interference from other networks. I have tried channels 6 and 11 already. By the way, I am using an HP notebook running Windows Vista.

Collapse -
RE: Chosing a channel
by C_Jones / January 20, 2009 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: Chosing a channel

I personally don't know of any way to see other network's channels. Where are you changing your channels from? Your router or your wireless adapter?

Also keep in mind of other interferences (cordless phone, microwave, TVs, etc)

Collapse -
Choosing a channel
by hir1199 / January 20, 2009 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: RE: Chosing a channel

Thanks.

I have been switching channels by programming the router. I thought that while I was checking wireless signals on the laptop, there was one view that actually showed the channel being used by each of the networks that I could receive. I was hoping that if I picked an uncommonly used channel, I would have less interference. I do not have cordless phones so I do not think they are the source of interference.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Collapse -
RE: Choosing a channel
by C_Jones / January 20, 2009 12:25 PM PST
In reply to: Choosing a channel

Yeah, try an uncommonly used channel.

Collapse -
networkstumbler
by hvanleeuwen / January 23, 2009 6:47 PM PST
In reply to: RE: Chosing a channel

I use Network Stumbler for that, its freeware so if you want to see who's around you and on what i suggest you download a copy.

www.netstumbler.com

hope that helps.

Collapse -
netstumbler
by hir1199 / January 25, 2009 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: networkstumbler

hvanleeuwen -

Thanks for the tip. I am not sure if netstumbler works with Vista. I did find the cmd for finding out the channels being used in my area.

type netsh and then
wlan show networks mode=bssid

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.