Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet connection issues - Vista

by ampedrosa / January 21, 2008 4:49 PM PST

Hi

I've been having problems connecting to the internet that are driving me crazy!

This is what's happening:

I have total access to the internet.. at least it seems so.. except some cases that i noticed:

- I can't connect to google earth, when i enter appears: "Login in in google earth server" and then an error appears saying that i couldn't connect to the server.. (sorry, it is in portuguese)

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3171/googlezc5.jpg

I click yes to DIAGNOSE, a internet explorer window pops up and it displays: " cannot display webpage"

This happens with the most up-to-date version of google earth

- I'm not able to use programs such as http://www.youtomato.com/tubedownload/ or download videos from youtube through the website http://vixy.net/ ..

With the first program it opens, and the same window "cannot display webpage appears", in the second when it tries to communicate with youtube it gives an error saying that maybe youtube.com is down.. which is not because i can connect to it via internet explorer

- I can't access to an SAP server (work) http://www.sap.com via internet

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/213/sapfv5.jpg

note that i can ping the serve successfully

- I can't login to live messenger.. it diagnoses the problem and it stops in "KEY PORTS"..

I tried several internet connections, and tried the same connection with different computers and they all work, except mine.

What i tried to do:
Replace the hosts file (backing up firsT),
disabling "detect proxy settings automatically" in ->Internet Options->LAN SETTINGS,
disabling/enabling/adding exceptions to the firewall and
re-installing the TCP/IP protocols

Hope someone can help, if you need more info please reply.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connection issues - Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connection issues - Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
services
by welrdelr / January 22, 2008 3:58 AM PST

How are you connecting to the internet?
My suggestion is for you to try a Linux liveCD and manually configure the connection from within the environment.
You will need to know the type of connection you have. ISDN, Modem, ADSL require password, name, phone/connection number(dialup).
DHCP for cable and satellite is automatic.

In Windows . there should be a connections setting. Be sure that your system has the most recent version of the DHCP, IPv6, and other scripts installed. These are the standards that all systems must use to connect.

BIOS boot from CD to use the Live disc.

Live english discs: Fedora, Knoppix, Ubuntu
Live portuguese discs: Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix, Kurumin, Big. Some of the portuguese discs do not have dhcp scripts installed by default.

Boa sorte.

Collapse -
Suggestions.....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 22, 2008 5:23 AM PST

1. Temporarily rename the HOSTS file to HOSTS.txt to see if that's the issue.

2. Change the Internet Options/Security/Internet security settings to "Medium" vs "Medium-high".

3. Download and install the newest version of Java using the instructions below:

Sun Java
Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the ''Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 4'' download button. Follow the prompts, accept the license agreement, then download the full ''Windows Offline Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Add/Remove Programs'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u4 from the downloaded installer.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
solved
by ampedrosa / January 22, 2008 4:28 PM PST
In reply to: Suggestions.....

Hi

thank you both for your answers

I managed to "fix" the problem, how.. i don't really know.

This is what i did:

Uninstalled symantec anti virus - > everything stopped working (including internet explorer, it just wouldn't connect to the internet)

Did a system restore to before i uninstalled symantec.. then uninstalled it again.. and Messenger started working

Tried SAP again and now there was a different error... "service sapdp00 not recognized", so i went to the drivers/etc/ folder and renamed the services file.. and now EVERYTHING works

Thank you for your attention

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!