General discussion

Internet Connection Gateway Ping fails on TV

Have a Samsung PN50B860 TV and Samsung BNP3600 both connected to same wired Airport Extreme router (software v-7.4.2) through a gigabit switch (no MAC address access control). The Blu-Ray player always connects fine -- no issues.

The TV passes all network connection tests until it gets to Gateway Ping which always fails no matter what gateway value I use (10.0.1.1 or 127.0.0.1). All other computers on same wired network ping the gateway just fine. Do I need to change something on the Airport Extreme or is this a software issue in the TV network configuration software? Has anyone else had this problem and solved it without a software update?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Internet Connection Gateway Ping fails on TV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Internet Connection Gateway Ping fails on TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
"Gateway Ping which always fails no matter what gateway"

"Gateway Ping which always fails no matter what gateway value I use (10.0.1.1 or 127.0.0.1)"

That's a BIG CLUE. Why can't you let the product get it's IP addresses automatically?

- Collapse -
Gateway Ping Failure

Before I responded back with my rationale for setting up manually, I thought "good question". I "thought" I was getting further into the network handshake when setting up manually than with auto (which failed the first test).

What your question raised was, what if the manual IP assignment allowed me to pass the TV's canned test, but in fact really was no proof of connectivity to the switch/router?

So went back to do some further testing. I pulled the cable out of the TV and plugged it into my Mac Mini (which auto-assigns just fine on the same switch/router but on a different cable), and guess what -- no auto assignment there either.

Bottom line, after further test confirmation, I had a bad CAT-6 cable. I must have damaged it pulling it through the wall or it was DOA. Auto assignment works fine now on a new cable. I'll just be very careful pulling the new cable through the wall.

Thanks for the quick response of a simple question to my question which put me on the right track and saved me from going down a rat-hole.

- Collapse -
Glad it helped.

Let's hope others are saved from that hole by your kind sharing of your story.

Again, thank you for sharing,
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info