Let's start with the basics. For example, I don't have an Internet connection icon at all here. You do. I have wired broadband (ADSL). You probably have dial-up or wireless broadband. Quite a difference. Maybe even satellite. What do you have?
Other things unclear in your post:
- how does that connection icon look like?
- do you have a third party firewall installed?
- what Toshiba model (there's no Toshiba Vista, but there is a Toshiba Satellite, for example)
- what edition of Vista (there's no Toshiba Vista, but there are 4 editions of Microsoft Vista)
- Firefox isn't a page, Firefox is a program. Do you mean to say you use Firefox as a browser? I wonder if it's relevant. What happens with the light if you use IE to browse. And, interesting, if you just connect and don't browse at all?
- What is your mail program (Windows Mail, Thunderbird, or do have a web-based mail - such as gmail or hotmail - in your browser)
- What do you mean with "turning on AVG Free"? It's always active, isn't?
- Now turn on AVG and browse at the same time. Does the light stay stable or does it start flashing?
Sorry to be asking so much questions. But the more you tell, the more probable it is that somebody can give a good answer?
when it's connected. Light remains stable when I turn on the computer scanner (AVG Free) or scan with Windows Defender. I have a Toshiba Vista laptop and have Firefox as my homepage. Can anyone tell me what is causing the flashing light. There is no message waiting in "mail", so it isn't that.
I'd appreciate your help here and thanks.