Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Internet connection flashes...

when it's connected. Light remains stable when I turn on the computer scanner (AVG Free) or scan with Windows Defender. I have a Toshiba Vista laptop and have Firefox as my homepage. Can anyone tell me what is causing the flashing light. There is no message waiting in "mail", so it isn't that.
I'd appreciate your help here and thanks.

cdian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connection flashes...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connection flashes...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Internet connection.

In reply to: Internet connection flashes...

Let's start with the basics. For example, I don't have an Internet connection icon at all here. You do. I have wired broadband (ADSL). You probably have dial-up or wireless broadband. Quite a difference. Maybe even satellite. What do you have?

Other things unclear in your post:
- how does that connection icon look like?
- do you have a third party firewall installed?
- what Toshiba model (there's no Toshiba Vista, but there is a Toshiba Satellite, for example)
- what edition of Vista (there's no Toshiba Vista, but there are 4 editions of Microsoft Vista)
- Firefox isn't a page, Firefox is a program. Do you mean to say you use Firefox as a browser? I wonder if it's relevant. What happens with the light if you use IE to browse. And, interesting, if you just connect and don't browse at all?
- What is your mail program (Windows Mail, Thunderbird, or do have a web-based mail - such as gmail or hotmail - in your browser)
- What do you mean with "turning on AVG Free"? It's always active, isn't?
- Now turn on AVG and browse at the same time. Does the light stay stable or does it start flashing?

Sorry to be asking so much questions. But the more you tell, the more probable it is that somebody can give a good answer?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for your questions, Kee...

In reply to: Re: Internet connection.

they set me on course Happy I have
- Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel(R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU T3200 @2.00GHz
3.00 GR RAM
Mobile Intel(r) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
- mail program is Windows Mail - I do have gmail and hotmail(Live) as well as yahoo.
- The Windows Firewall is "On" and I can`t find any other firewall;
under "Settings`` in Windows Firewall, these are checked:
avgemc.exe. avgnsa.exe;avgupd.exe; Core Networking;
Microsoft Office OneNote; Network Discovery.
Under ``Advanced``, Local Area Connection and Windows Network Connection are both checked.
- The flashing light is on my server`s modem. It flashed from the time I turned on the computer and internet and kept flashing even while I was reading your reply - with AVG turned on and scanning. The light went off when I put my documents in `hidden` for a while and it has remained `steady` without flashing since.
- Also, I got a warning that `backup` had been interrupted when I had not turned it on. That happens sometimes when I make a change in program. That happens every now and then.

Thanks for your help, Kee.
cdian

Collapse -
Automated tasks/services

In reply to: Thanks for your questions, Kee...

Depending on the system(they all vary) you can have automated tasks running in the bkgrd.. Once, your system is actually ON, it just simply tries to accomplished it timed or "start-up" function. Check the start-up pgms., under the configuration tab. Type <MSCONFIG>, no bkts. at the run window, review start-up. Some examples of automated tasks:

1) OS updates
2) AV updates
3) any pgm. updates
4) update checks
5) ISP checks

Any of the above or similar can happen. In most cases, you can disable that feature, but if you have broadband, its best to leave on. However, its a good idea to run AV scans to verify no malware or AV at work here.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks, tada ---- willy :)

In reply to: Automated tasks/services

...I checked msconfig and found about 130 listings under 'Services' and 21 under 'Startup.' Is this normal and, as you said, just looking after necessary business? Right now the "light" is flashing again for no reason that I can see.
cdian

Collapse -
Check what you need

In reply to: Thanks, tada ---- willy :)

I wouldn't fiddle with the services side of any installed on your system. Though, you should note then and try to google for what they actually do or related to, then decide if a deletion is is in order. However, when it comes to start-up pgms. these are more apparent in to what you really want to start-up during the next boot. In such cases that the pgm. pertains to your needs at the moment and at the next several weeks for example. If not really needed or long time in coming, find the deletion a clear solution in your mind. I suggest also, use the un-install feature as it maybe more prudent. It really boils down to what your system to be used for. if you found that the pgm. usage isn't that keen, delete them. You can use the pgm. "PC decrappier", google for it to help remove any s/w or pgms. that may have been installed due to the system being brought from likes of Dell, Gateway, etc. that are surpurfulous doo-doo during the original install. recheck all that and take it from there. You should do a "restore point" in order to return to a previous date/setup if a mistake is made, thus return prior to deletion as a safeguard. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Decisions to delete or leave alone...

In reply to: Check what you need

thanks, willy. Will do what you suggested and may have to live with the flash! If anything goes really wrong I can always get back to the forum

cdian Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.