Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet connection delay...

by MelH / December 10, 2007 4:00 AM PST

I re-installed Windows XP Home SP2, after a crash. Old system was two hard drives, 98SE on the first, XP Home on the second.

I've re-installed XP Home in NTFS format on the first drive and use the second drive as data storage only, no OS on it.

I setup the online connection using the Windows 'New Connection Wizard' and I can access the internet, using the shortcut icon I allowed to be placed on the desktop.

After clicking this icon, the connection is made as quickly as before and it appears I am connected to the internet. But, when I try to access the internet using my browser, or any other program requiring the internet, there is about a one minute delay before it connects. The only exception to that is a time-checking program connecting to an atomic clock, which does seem to connect. After the delay with the other programs, everything is as normal with connections made at normal speeds.

I tried using my modem on another computer and do not experience the delay there, so it is on my newly installed OS.

Where can I start looking to see where the delay is and correct it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connection delay...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connection delay...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I read the post twice and can't tell how it's connected.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 6:55 AM PST

Dialup, wifi, lan, satellite or other.

Also no mention of all the other drivers we have to put on the machine that Microsoft doesn't offer.

Bob

Collapse -
DSL connection...
by MelH / December 10, 2007 10:00 AM PST

...and what other drivers do you refer to?

I did the install, SP2 install, motherboard drivers, etc. My ISP says not to use their software to connect, just to use XP's connection, which I did.

And I checked again on my other machine and it, too, is behaving in the same manner, so I'm stumped. Prior to this annoyance, I ran for about five years in my former configuration with no problems whatsoever.....then the great November crash!

Collapse -
Now I have DSL but no...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 10:10 AM PST
In reply to: DSL connection...

Make and model of the DSL modem, router, etc.

Please try to make complete posts so the members don't have to guess.

Bob

Collapse -
Gnet BB0040...
by MelH / December 10, 2007 10:20 AM PST

...direct connection, no router. I own another new modem, identical to the first, which I tried without any difference.

If I knew where the problem originated, I would post all the information about that particular area, but I don't. It could be Windows, the modem, ethernet card, I don't know. It has never happened before. So, if you require yet more information, I trust you will let me know.

Collapse -
Sorry, I'm a little in the dark.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 1:36 PM PST
In reply to: Gnet BB0040...

I've set up many DSL modems from Westells to those newer units that Verizon is handing out but if it must remain a secret which it is then I'll see if others will guess this.

Bob

Collapse -
It was the HOSTS file...
by MelH / December 11, 2007 2:06 AM PST

...I temporarily renamed it and tried to connect properly and it did. Did the same for my other computer and got the same results. All seems fixed and I now can connect quickly.
The HOSTS file affected both browsers, my email program and my FTP program. Renaming it solved all these problems.

Collapse -
Odd but good news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 2:43 AM PST

The stock install of Windows only has one entry in the hosts file and no DSL provider adds to it. How did that get changed?

Bob

Collapse -
I have always used...
by MelH / December 11, 2007 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Odd but good news.

...the MVPS Hosts file as mentioned in your Virus and Security Forum. Must be something in the last one that my DSL stuff does not like. I'm currently re-building the HOSTS file a few at a time. The one-liner in Windows works fine and I will add to that.
If it works, I'll stick to this solution unless something else crops up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?