Computer Help forum

Question

Internet connection

by kiwi49 / March 17, 2015 1:52 PM PDT

Before I had to replace the router, I was able to get an internet connection for my laptop (via the router used for other modem.)
Can anyone tell me why I now can't get the same connection from the new Huawei router.?
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
DSL, Cable, Fiber?
by theNetnest / March 20, 2015 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet connection

No matter.
First the settings for your ISP or carrier's physical device layer should be set in your CSU/DSU.
Then you should be able to access your service providers new system page with the boarder router's setup app.
Most are web accessed. Some are telnet.

Regardless, your ISP isn't going to want to give you that information though its usually readily available found on the web how to access and use after wading through pages of search garbage to find it.
Its usually open for connections to any source mac address. You must have an actual switched connection for digital services before you can even get that far.
i.e. With phone line DSL, you don't automatically get a DSL switched port just because its a service available in your area and you are wired to the box. Someone has to channelize your line in.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Not Enought Information But As A Guess: New Password Needed
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2015 4:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
First of all you state
by orlbuckeye / March 18, 2015 10:49 PM PDT

you can't get a connection with the new Huawei router then you say you did with the router for the other modem. Ok did you replace the router/modem that you rental from your provider?

Typically you need a modem from the internet provider. Sometime they give you a Modem/Router where they are combined into one device. Sometimes they just give a modem and you have to connect you own router. Then you add the security to the router at the PC by typing in an IP address like 192.168.1.1 and the router software will allow you to set up security and name the network.

Internet providers also allow you to purchase your own either modem/router combined or modem and a router. You don't have to pay rent for the modem if you do this. But you have to call your provider and they have to get the mac address and set it up on their network.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?