Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet connection

by GemmaHoward / August 22, 2006 10:46 AM PDT

When i am connected to the internet everything is fine. After a while i find that i cant look at any web pages like i have been disconnected, even though the modem says that i am still connected. This happens most of the time.

To reconnect i have to restart the computer.

Is there something wrong with my modem?

Please help...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More information please...
by John.Wilkinson / August 22, 2006 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet connection

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

In this case, we need to know:
* Operating system (Windows 98/ME/XP)
* Browser(s) used (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc)
* Type of connection (Dial-up, DSL, Cable, etc)
* If you connect through a router. (If so, which one?)
* What security software you have. (It could be the result of malware damage.)
* Does the modem indicate just a connection or data transfer as well?
* Is the problem resolved by unplugging your modem and then plugging it back in? (Without restarting your computer.)

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
More information right here...
by GemmaHoward / August 22, 2006 12:34 PM PDT

Operating System: Windows XP Home edition
Browser: Internet Explorer
Connection: DSL
Router: No
Modem: Speedstream
Internet Security: Nortons Internet Security
Both data transfer and internet connection are in the same modem
When i tried switching off the modem then turning it back on, it fails. It only works like that if i do it around 6 times. It is quicker to restart the computer.

Do you think there is something wrong with my modem?

As i have a friend with the same Internet Provider and they have a different modem, and they dont have a single problem.

Collapse -
Does The Modem Have Updated Firmware?...And...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 1:05 AM PDT

..have you installed it? If not, give it a try.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Firmware?
by GemmaHoward / August 23, 2006 3:16 PM PDT

Whats firmware, and how do i get it?

Collapse -
Firmware...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2006 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Firmware?

Firmware is the basic software that allows various types of hardware, such as modems and routers, to correctly function. Visit the website of the modem. Check for the exact model number of the modem and see if there is any updated firmware or drivers for the device.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I just saw the same type problem myself.
by grin_n_bare / August 22, 2006 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Internet connection

The other day with a friend's PC the same thing was occurring, with both her browsers, IE and Netscape. She said if she turns off Zone Alarm then the browsers start to work again.

I have never heard of this before, but sure enough if I turned off Zone Alarm the browsers did work again. I checked setting against mine and couldn't find anything different.

I really would like to find the reason for this happenening because I don't like the idea of her cutting ZA off while on the internet.

Happy Grin

Collapse -
In Your Case, The Known Problem Is ZA
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 1:04 AM PDT

If the friend is using the most recent 6.5 version of ZA, then revert to an older version such as the 6.1 version. If she isn't using the most recent 6.5 version, which is 6.5.731.000, then try downloading the newest one and try that..

On a couple of our computers, I needed to revert back to the 6.1.744.001 version. It was reliable for us. The newer 6.5 versions simply caused too many problems.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Grif. Perfect!!
by grin_n_bare / August 23, 2006 8:50 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.