Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

internet blocking virus

by BibleGeek / May 16, 2010 4:16 AM PDT

For the last week I have been trying to figure out why I cannot get streaming video over the internet. I thought at first it was a wrong IE8 setting. Then I thought that either I lost Adobe Flash Player 10 or it was being blocked by AVG 9.0 Free Edition. I ran a full AVG virusscan which was negative. I ran Malwarebytes full scan which was negative. I tried to run PC Cillin Housecall but kept getting a message that the website is unavailable. I removed AVG and tried again. Same problem. I tried to re-download AVG and it tells me that the site is unavailable. I know that somehow I have a virus but I don't at this point know how to find and eradicate it.
HP Pavillion dv9700 PC
AMD Turion 64x2 Mobile TL-60 2.0GHz
2.0Gb Ram; 32 bit Operating System
Vista Home Premium SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: internet blocking virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: internet blocking virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Add info
by BibleGeek / May 16, 2010 6:42 AM PDT

I also tried to do a System Restore and was told that there were no restore points saved.

Collapse -
Try This
by manmur / May 16, 2010 8:51 AM PDT

Try Griff Thomas Suggestion out form this link: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?messageID=3161457&tag=forums06;posts#3161457

and also Might need to try Donna's suggestion at this link: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?messageID=3223937&tag=forums06;posts#3223937
You may want to also download an anti-virus Stinger from this link: http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

IF you download anything. Make sure you did it on a clean computer and not the one your are trying to fix. Also do your scans in safe-mode.

I hope this helps

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?