HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

internet access needs multiple clicks to get thru

by frankerin / May 16, 2010 5:57 AM PDT

I click on a url and get the 'can't get the page' error. Yet these are standard sites. I have to double and triple click to get thru. Most often it is at the large companies, ie, chicago tribune, USA today, and the like, when this happens but not just them, and then the connection is slow when accepted. And then I get the site in blue (CSS pages????) not the actual www page, and must hit refresh. Is there a dns problem on my HP Pavilion 64bit AMD PhenomX4, Vista home premium. Is something switched on or off that needs changing? HELP

Also, (related ???) the back button is suddenly filled with urls of ads or other things loaded with a web page in front of the url for the previous page, and I must hit BACK over and over. Sometimes these urls won't let me get past them, and I have to go to the list of recent sites and skip the offending url. Real nuisence. I now use the inprivate filter settings to block some of these, but not all are on the list. These settings revert to OFF when I leave the browser,IE 8 with full updates and upgrades.

Anyone have ideas? I have checked McAfee for firewall etc permissions etc, but nothing seems to be different. This all started a few weeks ago. Can you help or suggest a direction.
John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: internet access needs multiple clicks to get thru
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: internet access needs multiple clicks to get thru
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Internet access
by Kees Bakker / May 16, 2010 6:45 AM PDT

This needs some diagnostics.
1. Try another browser (Firefox, Chrome). Better?
2. Disable all add-ons in IE8 and try again (it's in Tools>Manage add-ons)
3. Assuming it's a laptop, does it happen everywhere or just at one location?
4. Download and run MBAM and SAS (SuperAntiSpyware). Any changes?

Kees

Collapse -
thanks, problems continue
by frankerin / May 16, 2010 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Internet access

Chrome gives the same problem, Msg reads

Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): The server could not be found.

So it does appear to involve some dns

This is not a laptop. Chrome has no plugs as of now. It all feels like the signal doesn't have enough strength to do its job. Multiple clicks often but not always work.

I don't your suggested software yet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.