Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet access: Admin acct fine, 1 of 2 limited users not

by billyrave9 / March 13, 2008 2:47 AM PDT

I'm running WinXP Pro with ZoneAlarm Pro (and recently added AVG, and SuperAntispyware; previously used only Ad-Aware & Spybot), with a Verizon DSL connection (no router). I was using IE6, but when I added AVG etc I also added and now use Mozilla.
My problem: my Admin account accesses the internet without problem or delay, as it has for the 4 years I've owned the machine. But my 'Power User' account recently has essentially lost the ability to load pages; it takes forever and has become unusable. I get no error messages - it just shows 'transferring' or somesuch on the status bar for minutes per page item. On a whim, I created a new 'limited user' account, and it works perfectly.
Given that there's only one copy of the OS, browser, firewall, anti-blahblah software on the machine - what would cause a single user account among three to suddenly fail?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet access: Admin acct fine, 1 of 2 limited users not
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet access: Admin acct fine, 1 of 2 limited users not
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be a corrupt profile.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 3:22 AM PDT

Or temporary files for IE have grown too much. Microsoft has been lax on the corrupt profile issue but you can see if it's that by create a new account and testing there.

NO. There is no tool to fix a corrupt profile today. Microsoft asks us to move to a new account.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks... But....
by billyrave9 / March 14, 2008 2:02 AM PDT

I had created a new profile as a test. It worked fine. I assumed there was a 'corrupt profile' but what I'm trying to understand is what gets corrupted? And is it possible it's not the profile but some permissions conflict with the new anti-(virus/spy/mal)ware software? I had that problem the first time I downloaded an update to my McAfee virus definitions file, after which the limited user account lost internet access.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks... But....

Microsoft has been lax to address this issue and I decline to delve into it. Sorry but it's a deep well and I wish you the best of luck.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?