Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Internat Explorer Problem.

by standeb / December 16, 2007 7:48 AM PST

Hello Moderators.

I run Windows Xp Pro. SP2, 512 ram, IE6.

Well if it is'nt one thing its another. I have encountered an IE problem in that whenever I open IE I get "Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close". Error reporting comes up I send a report but no page comes up. IE closes and I have to repeat opening twice, thrice and quadruple times before It stays. The cause of the problem seems to be here:-

AppName: Iexplore AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: urlmon
ModVer: 6.0.2980.3231 Offset 0003b5ce.

I shall be grateful if you can advise me on the following.

(1) Is there a fix for it.
(2) Whether unstalling and re-installing IE6 would be better.
(3) Whether I should do backups before uninstalling IE6. and
(4) Advise with respect to the sequence for reinstallation.

I have read some information with respect to 4 above but its not very informative in this regard.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Standeb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internat Explorer Problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internat Explorer Problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Internat Explorer Problem.
by danthevan / December 16, 2007 9:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Internet Explorer Problem
by standeb / December 16, 2007 11:38 AM PST

Hi Dan,

Many thanks for your reply to the problem at caption.

I uninstalled the suspected update although I got a warning that certain programs would and/or may not work properly if I did so.

I restarted IE and it worked without a hitch. My salutations and thanks to you, I hope, are in order.

Best regards

standeb.

Collapse -
hi
by danthevan / December 16, 2007 6:43 PM PST

shouldnt have any problems with your other programs

this was a specific ie6 security update which many people have had problems with cheers dan

Collapse -
Internet Explorer 6 problem
by standeb / December 18, 2007 1:06 PM PST
In reply to: hi

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I seem to have no problems with other programs, however that same problem seems to persist as I reappeared today on each occasion I opened IE. My questions are:-

Could it be that while my wife or even I, was using the system that the same update came in again and we did not notice? or
Is IE really damaged?

Gosh I did not check to see if that update came back. Microsoft has a way of doing that when it is noticed that you do not have some updates for your computer. I will check that and let you know.

Meanwhile any comments on IE being damaged will be appreciated.

With sincere thanks.

standeb.

Collapse -
IE6 Problem
by standeb / December 18, 2007 1:25 PM PST

Hello Dan,

Just as I thought, The offending update returned. I uninstalled it again. Is there a way to keep it from returning?.

I remembered that when IE7 was introduced some people on cnet had the impression that it would be only a matter of time before ms forces its users to use IE7. I happen to believe that the time has arrived, which brings me to question whether IE7's bugs have been fixed or it has improved to such an extent that it works well enough now. I have noticed that there are'nt many or any complaints about it these days.
Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Standeb

Collapse -
I had the same problem...
by eddie11013 / December 19, 2007 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: IE6 Problem
Collapse -
THIS WORKED FOR ME!
by tommwells / December 20, 2007 4:32 AM PST

This is the name of the Microsoft page:

Internet Explorer 6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2

Here is the link again:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627

They have an easy register fix which solved the problem for me.

Why doesn't microsoft refer this error to this link?

Thank you, Eddie!

Collapse -
Opera
by OttifantSir / December 21, 2007 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: IE6 Problem

Why bother with the worst browser out there at all, whichever version you use?

Opera 9.24 (latest) is free, secure and more in compliance with Web-standards than any other browser. Add to that a lot of features that would use at least 30MB if you could find them for IE, for less than 10MB and I feel the question is moot.

Collapse -
IE6 Problem.
by standeb / December 22, 2007 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Opera

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your replies. This was greatly appreciated. I attempted to do the workaround recommended by the second replier but in my attempt so to do was advised by microsoft that there was an update relevant to the problem. I am pretty sure that nearly everyone has got wind of that update and have installed the same because it comes up whenever IE crashes and the error reporting dialogue box comes up.

For me the problem has been solved and hope for all those who have had the problem. I am now thinking of Firefox.

Thank you all for your kind asistance.

Best regards.

Standab.

Collapse -
Re: IE6 - Automated Workaround after installing 942615
by Carol~ Moderator / December 22, 2007 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: IE6 Problem.

Hi standeb..

Thanks for posting back. I thought I'd clarify what you were referring to, in case not everyone 'got wind of it'. I hope you don't mind. When you first reported the problem, there was only a manual reg fix available. It's only been within the past couple of days, Microsoft offered the automated workaround for the post-install issue you referenced. It was for those using IE 6 and experienced crashes after installing security update 942615 running Windows XP SP2. The link to the download is below:

"Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB946627)":
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CC096493-367D-4D28-80AB-2A70139AE839&displaylang=en

"Overview":
This update resolves an issue on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2); Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 crashes when you try to a visit a Web site. This problem occurs after you install security update 942615. This security update is announced in security bulletin MS07-069.'

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2007/12/20/ms07-069-cumulative-security-update-for-internet-explorer-post-install-issue-automated-work-around.aspx
Note: It has also been made available via Windows Update and Automatic Update for all Internet Explorer 6 customers on Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Thanks again..
Carol

Collapse -
IE6 Problem.
by standeb / December 23, 2007 1:22 AM PST

Hi Curcat,

Thank you for your very detailed reply. I am sorry that my initial thread seemed somewhat ambigious. I was was impressed with the format of your reply and shall attempt the use the same as a precedent in the future since I consider myself to be still a newbie to computers. (That is with your permission of course, if granted).

I did not realize that this thread would have drawn so many responses and I shall continue to read because of the interesting threads and the education derived therefrom.

Again, thank you for the replies and the time expended in treating this problem.

Best regards.

standeb.

Collapse -
Re: IE6 Problem
by Carol~ Moderator / December 23, 2007 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: IE6 Problem.

Standeb..

Please don't feel the need to apologize. There was absolutely nothing ambigous about what you wrote. As a matter of fact, I think it's great you posted back and wrote what you did. I'm far from the gold standard when it comes to posting. I only wanted to add a couple of small details, in case someone accessed the thread at a later point in time. Glad to hear "all is well".

Have a Happy Holiday!
Carol

Collapse -
IE6 Problem.
by standeb / December 23, 2007 2:21 PM PST
In reply to: Re: IE6 Problem

Hi curcat

Thank you for the reply and greeting and in return to you and all of cnet, Have a Merry Christmas and Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

standeb.

Collapse -
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
by butter / December 22, 2007 7:48 AM PST

Hi
I am having a problem with Internet Explorer too. My Operating System is Vista using the Internet Explorer 7. My computer is very New only 4 months old. I do use other browsers on my computer and right now I have Opera and FireFox. I can connect to the Internet using Firefox and Opera but IE7 will not connect any more. I keep getting this Message "Internet Explorer Cannot Display The web page.

I have tried the Methods to resolve the problem that are on support Microsoft page, but that has not solved the problem. Again, If I can get on the Internet using the other two browsers do you think that IE7 software is corrupted.

If IE7 is corrupted, How do I repair it or How do I re-install it.

Thank You for your Help
Butter

Collapse -
Re: Internet Explorer cannot display webpage
by Carol~ Moderator / December 22, 2007 8:01 AM PST

Butter..

You might find some help within the below MS article:

"Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

Carol

Collapse -
Thanks
by butter / December 22, 2007 8:58 AM PST

Thanks Carol. I will contact Trend Micro on Monday. I hope that this is the answer.
I will post and let you know if IE7 is fixed.

Butter

Collapse -
You're welcome, Butter..
by Carol~ Moderator / December 22, 2007 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

As an added note.. keep in mind the link I supplied was related to the error message appearing after installing an update. Given the information you supplied, there might be a number of other reason's the webpages won't display, if the error didn't appear after an update. What I posted was the first thing which came to mind, given the nature of this thread.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Install IE7
by Dango517 / December 23, 2007 2:31 PM PST
Collapse -
The Problem is Solved
by butter / December 25, 2007 10:07 PM PST
In reply to: Install IE7

Hi Carol and Everyone
I have solved the problem and It was in my Trend Micro PC_cillin Internet Securty setting.
I need to change the setting for accepting the internet. IE7 is working find now and so it all the other browsers that I use on this computer.

Happy Holiday Seasons to Everyone here at this wonderful Website.

Thanks for All Your Help.
Butter

Collapse -
(NT) Great news! Happy Holiday's 2 U 2 :)
by Carol~ Moderator / December 25, 2007 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: The Problem is Solved
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?