Cameras forum

General discussion

Internal zoom lenses

by a4phantom / April 11, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

Some new cameras have internal zoom lenses that don't protrude. The Sony T1, the Konica Minolta X50, the Nikon Coolpix S1. It's a great concept, I'd think that it would help prevent dust from getting into the camera and possibly mitigate camera-shake a little for those of us with bad hands (by reducing the length between the lens and the camera's axis of rotation when it shakes).

So how does it work out in practice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internal zoom lenses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internal zoom lenses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use a Minolta Dimage X20
by rgfitz / April 11, 2005 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Internal zoom lenses

and it works fine. The reviews typically say the images are "soft" for the Dimage pocket cameras but they look fine to me. All you have to remember is to keep your left hand fingers away from the lens.

See:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rgfitz/

Collapse -
Snapshot?
by a4phantom / April 20, 2005 6:38 AM PDT

Thanks, nice pictures! Have other people had good experiences with internal zooms? Snapshot, any expert opinions?

Collapse -
Internal Lenses
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 20, 2005 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Snapshot?

To keep getting cameras thinner, they have to try new things.

This usually means - "compromise".

I have never heard any of the reviewers say that internal lenses are better that external lenses.

The word "soft" comes up occasionally.

Even with the size of some of these thin cameras, they take pretty good photos.

People who have owned low cost film cameras will tell you that they get better pictures with a digital camera. At least 50% of their problem of picture quality with film cameras was due to poor film/picture processing.

Remember those Polaroid cameras - talk about soft photos.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.