PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Internal Zip Installation

I am trying to properly install an internal 250 ATAPI Zip.
I bought it on ebay. How would i know it is good?
I have XP and a Gateway which has a Scudsi (I am a novice at this stuff, but as an engineer I'm determined to make it work?) The info from Iomega's site gives two alternatives for installation. One wouold have the Zip and CD drive on the same cable going into the secondary IDE. The second would have the Zip configured as a Master and going to its separate IDE connection. What do you think of the alternatives? My Scudsi "card" has a master IDE connection. Shall I use that for the Zip".
I'm pretty confused aboiut the BIOS settings. When looking at the BIOS setup screen, should the Zip show up next to the connection to which it is physically connected? Then, some references indicate to set the BIOS at "Not Connectd" or something like that. Is that right? Should that be for only the secondary IDE or Both? I also have read about CMOS settings. I do not know how to access thoat. Or. is it the same as BIOS?
By the way, the reason for purpsuing this so doggedly is that the backup of my Quicken data is on Zip drives. (Long story) Without that data, my tax returns will be much harder to do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internal Zip Installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internal Zip Installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A little bit of info

In reply to: Internal Zip Installation

Scudsi? Maybe your thinking of the hardrive connection of SCSI ( Pronounced scuzzy). Thats meant for hard drives as far as I know, and don't think its made for ZIP drives yet, but since it has an IDE connection it should work. Well, the simpler way, I assume, would be to have them both on the same IDE. Hm... To find whether its connected, try going to My Computer. Can you see it there? If not,go to the Device Manager. Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware Tab>Device Manager. Look under Disc Drives. CMOS is the same as BIOS, but CMOS is kind of the memory for it. But when people sat CMOS settings, they are talking about the BIOS.Hmm.. You could try that, but you could also plug in a zip drive into a USB port. You'd have to buy another drive and it'd be external. For even faster transferring you could have plug it into FireWire, but its not too common for computers to have them. They might be on your sound card. But USB is fine, also. Do try with them on the same, but you may have small conflicting problems... Its a little rare, but it might happen. This Master and Slave thing isn't much of a big thing. Its just that one is your primary drive, like when looking for drivers off a CD, it will look at your Master Drive first.Ah, those hard-to-get tax returns... gotta love when THEY give you some money back.. It feels good.
-Ibrahim

Collapse -
Zip Installation

In reply to: A little bit of info

Yes, I meant SCSI. My Zip is not showing up under Device Manager. I guess that means I either have it connected incorrectly or the Zip itself is faulty. I am trying to find an internal Zip to borrow from a friend. I will connect it and see what happens. I want to use an internal Zip for this test so that I have the same connection configuration as my ''new'' Zip. This is just to allow a process of elimination.
I am going to try connecting my CD to the IDE connection on my SCSI board (right terminology?), the one that the hard drive goes into and which has an IDE connection also. That is a Master. So, I will then connect Zip to the Secondary IDE on the motherboard. If you or anyone else reading this sees a problem with this, please let me know.
I'm still don't know how to set the BIOS. I will appreciate advice on that from anyone.
Ibrahim, what is a FireWire? Since you say I could plug into FireWire, does that mean there might be an IDE connector on the sound card?
I wish I were anticipating getting some taxes back. Not the case. To be clearer: A nerdy consultant who drives a small car did some work for me a few months ago. He ended up backing up data, taking everything off the hard drive and then restoring the data. There's a term for that. Well, he and I both messed up by not including my Quicken data in the back up. I had backed it up last year on Zip drives, but of this is when my Zip drive shot craps.
I'm sure there are lessons in that story.
Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Zip Installation

In reply to: A little bit of info

After many hours trying everything I could think of and read, I found a pin in one the connectors smashed flat. I straightened it and the Zip drive works.
I'll never work on an installation problem again without checking the connectors first.
Thanks for your help.
Tom G

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.