Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Internal Hard-Drive to External Hard-Drive

by OldBrownShoe08 / January 16, 2007 12:11 PM PST

I have a Fujitsu MHS2060AT internal hard drive from an old Dell laptop. I was wondering if anybody knew how to hook it into an Intel MacBook so that I could use it as an external hard drive, I don't know where to start so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internal Hard-Drive to External Hard-Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internal Hard-Drive to External Hard-Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In one line.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 8:07 PM PST

Put it in an USB drive enclosure.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Or even a Firewire Enclosure
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 8:45 PM PST
In reply to: In one line.
Collapse -
My bad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 8:47 PM PST

I thought that 200 milliseconds after I clicked "post message."

Collapse -
(NT) I thought it strange when I saw it
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 17, 2007 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: My bad.
Collapse -
I agree with the others... BUT
by boya84 / January 17, 2007 7:19 AM PST

the Fujitsu 60 gig drive isn't very large and if removed from a laptop, that means its been running and has aged... the external FireWire case will likely cost around $50 (USB cases will be cheaper, but USB cannot sustain data speeds like FireWire does. For $140 you could get a 300+gig new hard drive in a case... with warranty.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4562417?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

If you need to do this to transfer data, then that is a good idea - otherwise, this is a bit of an odd investment of $50... in my opinion...

Collapse -
Ahh, missed the fact that it was a laptop drive
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 17, 2007 9:26 AM PST

this will need yet another device to convert the IDE cable to a suitable size for the small HD.

I got one as a door prize once and that, coupled with a firewire board (no case, just the board)and regular IDE cable has saved data from a number of laptop drives.

That 300 GB looks like a decent deal. I'll have to check that out

P

Collapse -
(NT) 300GB not available!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 17, 2007 9:29 AM PST
Collapse -
bummer
by boya84 / January 17, 2007 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: 300GB not available!
Collapse -
Going To Try
by OldBrownShoe08 / January 17, 2007 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: bummer

The laptop the HD came from died a while ago and I figured I might as well use the HD, so I think I will go with a macally phr-250A, http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/storage_device/phr_250a.html, with a USB connection because that is the cheapest at 20$. I don't really need a new HD, justdon't want to waste the old one, so spending more wouldn't make sense. Thanks for the feed back.

Collapse -
That's cool... it will work...
by boya84 / January 17, 2007 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: Going To Try

But remember, hard drives are electro-mechanical devices measured using MTBF - mean time before failure. Since you said the laptop that it was in was old (and died), I would actually be wary of the hard drive that was in it as well (though I don't know how the 'puter died).

It will work - that case you selected will be fine - the issue is how long it will last since it already has some time on it... and you *may* get lucky and it *could* be one of those drives that - for some reason - goes for ever. But in my book, as a former IT manager, that falls under the "hope" category - and "hope is not is good strategy"...

You would be wise to have a good back-up process in place.

Collapse -
Cause of Death
by OldBrownShoe08 / January 20, 2007 4:15 AM PST

Im not really sure why it died, I think viruses and spyware, but all I know is that is took hours to do anything at all, even turn on, while computers that where just as old took far less time. If it did get a virus, I assumed that I could hook it into the Mac and format it without risk of infecting my macbook, what with the, "no viruses for mac," line that I hear all the time. Do you think there some risk to my mac, or will formating it take care of any bugs?

Collapse -
Fomatting will take care of ALL of the files and
by boya84 / January 21, 2007 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Cause of Death

everything on the drive... Best you boot from OSX and format that drive using the bundled Apple Drive Utilities app.

Collapse -
Thanks
by OldBrownShoe08 / January 21, 2007 1:52 AM PST

That what I wanted to hear.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?