HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

General discussion

Internal hard drive running slower than USB 2.0

by onebigbandgeek / May 27, 2008 8:30 AM PDT

Hello,

I have a dell Latitude laptop D810 with a 2.5" 60gig 7200 Hitachi Travelstar, IDE/ATA 100 hard drive.

I also have an external IDE/ATA hard drive connected via usb 2.0.

I downloaded Bart's Stuff Test, and ran the quick test and here are the numbers i came up with:

(Avg's)

Internal:

Write- 2MB
Read- 1.7MB

External:

Write-20.1MB
Read- 24.5 MB

Can someone explain why my internal hard drive is running so slow? I know reaching theoretical speed is not going to happen, but good lord...

I have about 1.4 free gigs on the internal and 14ish on the external, could this be the problem?

Thanks!

Jason

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internal hard drive running slower than USB 2.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internal hard drive running slower than USB 2.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Because it's full
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 4:05 PM PDT

Move some of that stuff out of it and see what happens. I'm surprised you got that much in it. Happy Any warnings? Grin

This thread untracked.

Collapse -
You're exactly right...the internal is virtually full.
by VAPCMD / May 27, 2008 9:12 PM PDT

Clear some space....backup as necessary and rerun the test.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Not full anymore...
by onebigbandgeek / June 17, 2008 2:33 AM PDT

I have moved quite a bit off the drive and defragged. I now have 20gigs free.

The drive is still running really slow.

Under the device manager there are three entries:

Intel 82801FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers- 2653
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Under primary channel the option is set to DMA if available, but it is running in PIO mode.

Under Secondary IDE, the option is set for DMA and it is running ULTRA DMA MODE 2.

This is a laptop with just one hard drive in the bay. There are no cables, just the bay with the connector hard wired to the end of the bay.

The drive itself supports ULTRA DMA mode 5(ULTRA/ATA 100).

Something is wrong for it to be running at 2.1 MB/sec transfer rate.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Sounds like USB 1.1 speed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2008 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Not full anymore...

I can't tell much from your post. When I see this I change the USB cable to a shiny new USB 2.0 cable and disable the USB LEGACY MODE in the BIOS.

Another gimme me is Windows XP. It doesn't do USB 2.0 until more patches and even then we see it hiccup. I apply (again) the latest SP then fetch and install the latest motherboard drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
its internal
by onebigbandgeek / June 17, 2008 3:23 AM PDT

I am talking about the internal drive not the external drive.

The external drive is running that OK speeds.

The internal(ATA 100) is the one that is really really slow.

Collapse -
Then do the DMA flip. Link only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2008 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: its internal
Collapse -
PS. In case you write...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2008 3:27 AM PDT

It shows as DMA. I will not respond. I know to set it to PIO, then save, exit and go back in to set it to DMA then save, exit. If you don't then we're done.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.