Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internal error after re-build of Win2K

I completed a re-install of win2k (over the existing install) and am now receiving an "internal error" while trying to autorun or run a setup of a particular application from CDROM. The application has previously run on the prior install. The purpose of the re-install was because the same application was getting "lost or corrupt dll" when trying to execute. I am reasonably certain this was not a malware nor virus issue.

Following build, I re-installed all latest motherboard drivers, bios was current, and device drivers.

I started with Win2K SP2 and did a windows update through to SP4, including all critical updates.

I also had loaded Office 2000 Pro, including updates and critical updates.

Past office, this was the next application re-install.

MOBO is ASUS P4B533, 512M & 2.2 Pentium. EIDE 80 GB and 250 GB hard drives, CDRW, Nvidia 900XL dual

Any thoughts on the "Internal Error" I did a quick google and did not find anything obvious.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internal error after re-build of Win2K
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internal error after re-build of Win2K
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Internal error after re-build of Win2K

In reply to: Internal error after re-build of Win2K

Any other errors? Event Viewer contents after the error?

Why no name for the application that failed?

How about a memory test from http://www.memtest86.com ?

And why no power supply rating?

The dual hard disks and more give me the guess of you'll want a 450Watt PSU.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Internal error after re-build of Win2K

"Why no name for the application that failed?"

ArcMap - ESRI product for GIS applications

350Watt P/S been in there year + - no known problems.

Will try the mem test and other diagnostics. Hadn't considered this as a possible hardware issue, but could be. Just added the big drive after a Maxtor failure.

Did not look at the event viewer.

Thanks
John

Collapse -

While not high on my suspect list, a 350 Watt PSU will age and fail as time passes. The failure shows up as many random items. I'd unplug a spare CDROM or such until this new episode is over.

If only the map software fails, then use their support pages. I will not offer support for commercial products that have support systems. This may sound cruel, but they know their product and it's a disservice to you for me to guess what's wrong with that product.
http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.gateway&p=25&pf=28

The EVENT VIEWER may be crucial. In fact, it's usually the second item I look at when I think I have a software failure.

Bob

Collapse -

Collapse -
BTDT.

Did you call them? Not all support is possible via the web site.

I must admit that install over the top of any Windows OS has never been a good idea. It usually incurs any number of issues, but I usually clean it up with updating to the latest SP4 plus all criticla updates in the case of Windows 2000. Any extra software such as Norton or Zonealarm will fail as the OS is being updated so I usually wipe out both and reinstall such later in the process. For the firewall, I just use the native MS firewall since all I need to fend off is the usual worms.

The Event Viewer may be the key, but only after all the updates are in. Hours later...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: BTDT.

In reply to: BTDT.

Agree. I really don't think its an ESRI issue, have several other workstations running same (8.3). It may now be a clash of dll's from the previous install not removed.

I should not have re-installed over the existing. I will most likely reformat the drives and start over. Its raining here anyway.

Demon 480 P/S installed and working, so that should not be an issue. Nice supply, quiet given the number of fans.

Will next download the mem tester to be sure that isn't an issue.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: look here

In reply to: look here

"Quoting the exact error is usually most helpful."

Actually I did. No error code, just "Internal Error" was displayed.

I resolved the problem by loading ArcGis 8.3 before doing Windows updates, which indicates a conflict in dll files to me.

Thanks for looking, much appreciated.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.