Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

internal cable

by padyboy / January 31, 2012 9:18 AM PST

I have purchased an internal drive for my desktop. I now need the correct cable to connect to my microprocessor. The drive is a WD7502aaex 750GB.
It is PCI Express, but the retailer does not state whether it is 32 or 64 bit (my processor is 64). I have searched extensively for this information, to no avail. I have x1 and 16 slots availble according to the HP website.
I do not know where to turn from here. This was a bare drive, with no accessories.
Any assistance would be appreciated. Considering my lack of computer knowledge, I will confine all future threads to this location.
Thank you.

padyboy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: internal cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: internal cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by padyboy

Collapse -
Let us keep it simple ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 31, 2012 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: internal cable

the drive is a SATA 6GBs drive and requires a SATA cable that supports SATA 6 (and it will be backward compatible if your motherboard only has SATA 3 connections).

You mention PCI EXPRESS and X1 and X16 but don't tell us why you are mentioning that as the hard drive fits in a drive bay and not in a card slot so whether you have PCI Express or not is immaterial..

Do you mean that you have also purchased a SATA 6 Host card for attaching your hard drive? If so we would need to know the manufacturer and model number of that SATA host card.

Collapse -
by padyboy / February 1, 2012 1:31 AM PST

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I was not clear on what I need in my last email.
"Do you mean that you have also purchased a SATA 6 Host card for attaching your hard drive? If so we would need to know the manufacturer and model number of that SATA host card."
No. I am refferring only to the hard drive I purchased, bo cable included.
I have a SATA 2 drive, which is not relevant to my problem. I need a cable to connect the above-mentioned drive to my motherboard, which (according to HP) has both 1x and 2x, which are not the same socket type.
I have not located an explanation of the difference between x1 and x16. Form the pictures I have seen, the sockets are obviously different, which was expected. Can you tell me which cable to purchase? I have not received an answer to query at the seller.
It seems the more I learn about computer technology, the more I realize how little I know.
Perhaps there shoild be a new category of members, below "newbe", called "no-be".
"Do you mean that you have also purchased a SATA 6 Host card for attaching your hard drive? If so we would need to know the manufacturer and model number of that SATA host card."

Collapse -
OK, you did not get a 6G SATA ....
by Edward ODaniel / February 1, 2012 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: reply

host card so you will be using the motherboard SATA connectors. Here is a link that might help you identify the SATA cabling and the connectors on the motherboard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCgFYNLzn18

SATA 1 is the original 1.5Gbits spec and SATA 2 is the newer 3Gbits spec and you bought a SATA 6Gbits hard drive which is the newest spec. All are backward compatible with SATA 1 including cabling but operation will be at the slowest common denominator. Here is a link to a bit of an education on SATA:
http://www.serialata.org/documents/SATA-6-Gbs-The-Path-from-3gbs-to-6gbs.pdf

Apparently you just need to purchase a SATA cable so I am linking you to one that will work for you. Note that it clearly states that it is used for SATA 1.5, 3, and 6:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119052

If your case and power supply does not have a SATA power adapter here is a link to a molex splitter that adds two SATA power connectors:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119010

This should help you to better know what things are and what you need.

Collapse -
Re: connecting to motherboard
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: reply

Let's hope your motherboard does have a SATA connector. If not, you can't connect your drive. If not you would have to buy that card that Edward mentions.
Better take your PC with you then, so the shop can put it in, install the drivers, connect the disk and mount it. They have more experience in this kind of thing than you do.

The alternative might be to buy an IDE disk and return this one. A motherboard that doesn't have SATA usually has 2 IDE slots, each allowing 2 devices. And a basic PC only uses 2 of the 4 for a hard disk and a DVD-drive.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees, if he has ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 1, 2012 7:46 AM PST

PCI Express as he indicate he will have SATA connections on the motherboard. He also mentioned "I need a cable to connect the above-mentioned drive to my motherboard, which (according to HP) has both 1x and 2x, which are not the same socket type." and that indicates he has SATA 3G capability.

Of course it would really have been helpful had he mentioned the model in addition to it being an HP computer.

Collapse -
specs
by padyboy / February 1, 2012 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Kees, if he has ...

Pavilion a4310f
sn mxx00906wf
Model ay014aa#abl
bios v6.1.7601
Pack1 Build 7601
American Megatrends Inc. 5.19 10/02/2010
smbios version 2.5

Collapse -
Re: specs
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 4:46 PM PST
In reply to: specs
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?