A network share that is not there or any number of spyware or other pests can do that. From the hardware angle, an overheating computer (can be CPU or other parts) will do that too.
Start with the usual.
1. Right click on Network Neighborhood and disconnect shares.
2. Fetch EWIDO from http://www.download.com and toss out what it finds.
3. Run WINSOCKXPFIX from google.com to set that proper.
4. Run an online virus scan from HOUSECALL.
5. Remove the side case cover to see if heat is an issue.
The above 5 items usually sniffs this out.
Running XP Home edition. Suddenly the system will freeze up for approx 10 seconds, unlock itself, then for 10 seconds and then repeat. This happens after the system has been on for a while--15 to 60 minutes.
Makes no difference whether I am working or system is idle. Have done the properties thing, no good. Currently have printer, scanner, router, remote keyboard and intellimouse in hub plugged into usb ports
help, its driving me mad.