Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Intermittent Reboot

by Jradamsinc / May 21, 2006 8:31 AM PDT

My system - Older Dell Windows 98- upgrade 120 GB HD/384 RAM Windows XP Home.II also upgraded to a Sounblaster card and a 32 MB ATI Rage 128 ultra video card. AntiVir Personal Edition Anti Virus with Peer Guardian2 and Windows Firewall.
My system has run very well but now it seems to be cutting out and rebooting at least once per session. Could this be an indication that the mother board is going? I had a problem with my mouse freezing up about a month ago but that problem no longer exists. Gremlins in the system. I've run Ewido, Adaware,and Spysweeper and my system is clean. Is there a possibility of another conflict I should be looking into? As always your advice is top notch.
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intermittent Reboot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intermittent Reboot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or something doesn't like the heat, driver, etc.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Intermittent Reboot

My first response (after scanning) is to remove the case cover and see if it gets better. I'll also clear the EVENT VIEWER and wait for a reboot to see what shows up.

Bob

Collapse -
by Jradamsinc / June 4, 2006 9:02 AM PDT

I've opened it up, cleaned it out again, I do this about once a month. The fan is running fine. It still does this with the cover off. I've run every anti-virus possible. I think it may be an issue of configurations or compatibility?
This did not happen when I intially installed the new cards etc. How do I open the event viewer and what would I be looking for?
Thanks

Collapse -
About Event Viewer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2006 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

How to open it is noted in Start, Help and Support as well as google.com. To speed up finding what this issue is, please don't wait for replies here but look at the help and google.com to speed up the process.

What I look for in the Event Viewer are clues to the reboot. For instance my son's PC would do a random reboot and I lucked out after clearing the Event Viewer, it rebooted and I found a CRYPTIC entry but it did mention something about a sound driver. I found an updated sound driver and that fixed that one.

There is no do-this cure in most cases but to look for clues where ever you can find them. It's also very important to use resources such as Start, Help and google.com

Bob

Collapse -
POWER SUPPLY FAILURE IS YOUR PROBLEM
by ask4anu / June 4, 2006 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Intermittent Reboot

a computer rebooting buy it self is A(hacker) B(POWER SUPPLY UNIT IS SHOT and you can only get a replacement at dell and while you are replacing things replace that dinosuar of a computer you got to something more up to date if you can afford to you will thank yourself every minute you use your new WAY FASTER MACHINE if you can not afford a new system then you will have to replace PSU for sure and that means sending your computer back to dell because unless you are CERTIFIED COMPUTER TECH any changes you make will VOID any WARRENTY u may have....... good luck

Collapse -
Yes that could be the problem
by slick62 / June 4, 2006 9:37 AM PDT

Dell, HP and some other known computer's brand usually uses PSU (Power Supply) with no more than 240-265 Watts. That is really poor power when you have to handle any GPU (Graphic processor unit) out there in the market. actually recommendations for a regular GPU is at least 150 watts PSU. So you could think about what could happen when your hardware start consuming power from your PSU. Specially when you are running games or when you are multitasking (almost always) in your system. if you add the power processor will consume when hard working+ GPU power use + CD Drive(s)+ all the other hardware that will give you at least a 300 PSU... Do the math and check your system specs...

Hope this help

Collapse -
Thank You All
by Jradamsinc / June 7, 2006 9:30 AM PDT

Yes I do have a dinasaur of a system but cash flow isn't great these days. I cleared the event viewer and there was an unknown driver that came up. Once I cleared it , it hasn't crashed in a few days though I'm not sure if that did the trick. I slao went into msconfig and and muted the Windows applications and found a thing or two in there that should not have been there and running. So thank you all again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?