Samsung forum

General discussion

Intermittent Connectivity to Internet - 1600 DVD

by ex-engineer / January 1, 2010 12:35 AM PST

Hello:

I am having intermittent connectivity issues to the Internet with my 1600 DVD player. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. occasionally, I get an informational message asking me to check my connection to the LAN.

SS tech support has recommended disabling the firewall on my NetGear router. I dont get it for 3 reasons:

1.) If it was a firewall problem, the connectivity would not be intermittent. Either you would be getting blocked or not. Am I wrong?

2.) The firewall blocks unsolicited packets received on the Internet-facing interface of the NetGEar router, unless an access-list or port forwarding is configured to allow the traffic in. However, if I have my understanding correctly, the connections to the Internet are initiated by the DVD player, which sits on the trusted side of the router's firewall, so return traffic will be allowed back in by default because it is part of a stateful connection's return traffic.

So, to summarize, I dont see why SS would EVER recommend disabling the firewall, no matter what (as per point 2), but I am doubly confused by their suggestion to disable it in my situation?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intermittent Connectivity to Internet - 1600 DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intermittent Connectivity to Internet - 1600 DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CORRECTION
by ex-engineer / January 1, 2010 12:43 AM PST

The DVD player I have is a 3600, not 1600.

Collapse -
I see the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 1:10 AM PST

You want them to do more than walk you along the usual troubleshooting but explain each step and vet each procedure.

Sadly you may not get this sort of deep support today unless you pay dearly for it.

For example, read a recent discussion at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?threadID=376155&tag=forums06;forum-threads where they did about the same thing. I offered the usual fix and they balked at it so I had to share a bit more to get it done.

Imagine if they had just played along. We could have avoided a few turns.

Back to you. I understand your concern but it looks as if you didn't try what the tech asked. You shut them off so they can't work the diagnostic tree they use.

Sorry but I'm just a programmer of things embedded and electronics designer. I can see what you asking but why not humor the tech and let them work the issue?
Bob

Collapse -
Still Waiting for SS to Answer
by ex-engineer / January 1, 2010 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: I see the problem.

Bob, I will do what they ask if I could. I dont think NetGear even allows you to disable the firewall. Its an integral part of the router's operating system and it's a bad thing to do to boot. No router manufacturer or network engineer worth their salt would advise disabling the firewall...I will investigate further, though.

But again, it simply does not make sense, if I am indeed understanding this device's work flow.

By the way, if I didnt question the "fixes" I have been given over the years by computer manufacturers, router and switch tech support people, etc, I would have wreaked havoc many times...

I would like SS to answer my very reasonable question.

Thanks

Collapse -
And that's the rub.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 1:46 AM PST

Will you pay for that level of question and answer? I find that many won't. They want not only the fixes but a tutorial and some full "foundation" for why they suggest such.

I offered the other discussion because what I suggest there has been known to help with printers, TVs and more.

-> Let me add this nugget. Just last week I installed a HP c4780 wifi printer. What a pain. I had to set the router to 802.11g only mode. This after dropping firewalls and all that.

And you seem to know a bit. You know the port used can be more than one so from one attempt to the next, it could fail and then pass. The firmware isn't that smart (or is as smart as the programmer makes it!)

but that's not why I wrote here. I find the entire support issue to be an interesting one. You have a fine point here about asking for more but will you pay for it?
Bob

Collapse -
Still Waiting...
by ex-engineer / January 1, 2010 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: And that's the rub.

Bob, please dont worry about what I'll pay for...

I have asked SAMSUNG some basic questions about a product I bought which is not working, so I would like SAMSUNG to answer them.

By the way, the point you make regarding application ports and intermittent connectivity are misguided...with a firewall enabled and no access list or port forwarding configured, ALL unsolicited traffic from the outside will be blocked -- ALL of it, so the inoperability of the DVD player will be consistent IF connections are initiated from the outside. hence my question...

Connections initiated from the inside do not require ACLs or port forwarding for return traffic because of the stateful nature of firewalls, as explained above.

Please, stop derailing my thread and allow Samsung to answer.

Thanks

Collapse -
That answer should be interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: Still Waiting...

Look at the post I gave you the link to. It covers connection issues I find all over. Your post is interesting in that it falls right into the usual.

For example if your network router hid the SSID you could see the effect you are complaining about.

As to what you are paying is not any concern of mine. I had a question about it and here it is again.

Since Samsung didn't sell your your router, configure that router or set it all up, here's my new question. Should Samsung be doing home network support? And should they be vetting their diagnostic and service charts?
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 4:33 AM PST

I offered that post to see if that could help you along. I also wanted to hear about today's owners and how they felt about support for products that you didn't get from the maker. That is, the router that is not from Samsung.

I see you don't want to discuss that or discuss the usual issues.

Good luck and sorry to read about your woe.
Bob

Collapse -
Still Waiting...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 1, 2010 9:45 AM PST

ex-engineer,

I recommend disabling the firewall temporarily as a way to see if the connection goes through, or if the firewall needs to be configured. I also, on occasion, suggest hooking up the Blu-Ray player directly to the modem and bypass the router. It doesn't mean that you have to keep it there, it just helps you troubleshoot where the problem lies.

I can't help configure firewalls, but by turning it off, it helps you get an indication of where the problem might lie. If the firewall is the issue and it needs to be adjusted, while I can't help with that, at least we can narrow it down to that being the problem.

The fact is that I can't solve individual network issues on the forums. Every person's network is different, with different computers. Why things may or may not work is beyond my control, or the scope of what I can troubleshoot.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Final Post
by ex-engineer / January 1, 2010 12:14 PM PST

HD Tech:

I appreciate the time you took to address my issue.

I think there's a misunderstanding here. I do not expect you to troubleshoot my router or my network. Im a seasoned Cisco network engineer and I can do that myself.

All I asked was for Samsung to explain its suggestion of disabling the firewall.

By default, when a connection is initiated from the trusted side of the firewall, as it is with the DVD player or any PC on the network, the firewall will allow all outbound traffic to be switched from the high security interface (the trusted LAN interface that the DVD player is plugged into) to the outbound interface that faces the ISP, which is a lower security interface. Moreover, all return traffic for that connection will automatically be allowed in because the firewall will create a virtual and temporary access list.

Furthermore, the firewall will block all UNsolicited traffic for a connection that is attempted from the outside and tries to enter your private network. Such traffic can be allowed if you configure an access list and apply it to the outbound interface, or if you configure port forwarding and allow certain network services to be accessed.

Now, a firewall can be configured for advanced egress filtering, in which case someone will have had to configure an outbound filter list and apply it to the trusted interface -- something HIGHLY unlikely for lay people to do.

As it turns out, the intermittent connectivity issue was caused by the fact that the DVD player was a bit too far from the router and was failing. I had the user move the DVD player closer to the router and use a hard-wired connection, which suits him fine because he wanted to move it anyway.

By the way, you guys will have a much easier time if you just provide better troubleshooting tips in your user guide.

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.