Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

intermittent connection, d-link or norton incompatible?

by sovrappensiero / January 23, 2008 7:14 AM PST

System: I am running Windows XP on a two-year-old IBM T42 with Norton Internet Security activated August 2007. I bought a D-Link RangeBooster G (also in August 2007, before installing Norton) and disabled the internal wireless adapter because I couldn't get a connection with the internal adapter. (The internal adapter was: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection; one day the driver went bad and after many attempts to install a new driver from the Lenovo website I still couldn't get it to work). I disabled all the firewalls I can find as well as most of the other functions of Norton Internet Security.

Problem: The internet connection will run for a short period of time, then I lose the connection for about 30 seconds - then it comes back again. I lose the connection when:
1) I plug something into the USB port, such as a flash drive or a web cam,
2) about 70% of the time when I type a web address (any address, such as www.yahoo.com) and press enter.
3) about 70% of the time when I click or move within a web address (searching, for ex.), especially when I press Enter to start a search within a page
4) occasionally even when I'm not doing anything at all.

Also, on two occasions I got a blue screen of death when I was using MSN instant messenger and trying to share web-cams (friend views mine and I view the friend's).

One more thing, whenever I shut down the machine I get an error message referring to the D-link wireless connection manager being nonresponsive.

Any ideas of what I should do?? It's extremely frustrating and I feel like the answer is right at my fingertips but I can't figure it out.... Thanks all!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: intermittent connection, d-link or norton incompatible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: intermittent connection, d-link or norton incompatible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start with our forum sticky.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 7:16 AM PST

It has notes about router firmware, ssid, encryption that may help but let's get that out of the way first.

Bob

Collapse -
Forum Sticky
by sovrappensiero / January 23, 2008 8:21 AM PST

So I should research within Forum Sticky? Where can I find that? I can't find a reference on the page...

Thanks (and sorry!)

Collapse -
check!
by sovrappensiero / January 24, 2008 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: Right here

Ok - I checked that forum and read all the posts. I normally use two different connections - one at my university, which is a WPA connection, and one at home, which is an open connection. The problem is the same with both connections. Other than that, all these settings and tips match mine...

The exact adapter I'm using is D-Link WNA 2330 Notebook Adapter, if that helps...

Any idea what my next step should be?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Try it our way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: check!

At home, move to a new SSID name, WPA to lock out the usual interference. I didn't read where your router has the latest firmware. In fact, I'm unsure you implemented any changes at all.

Collapse -
I'd be glad to...
by sovrappensiero / January 24, 2008 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Try it our way.

I'd be glad to try it your way, the only thing is that there are 4 other computers running daily on my home network and none of them have any problems of this sort - so I don't think interference is the problem. Also, I have the same problem on my university network, which is password-protected and should not have issues of interference.

Judging from the fact that I lose internet connection most often when I "actively" do something (plug in a USB device, click "search" or take some other action to start a process), could this be a problem with virtual memory or something of that sort? I feel like perhaps the connection dies because the computer cannot complete more than one process at a time. Maybe uninstalling NIS would help?? I hear it takes a lot of free memory to run this program...

At this point I have not implemented any changes because I have not read any suggestions that are not what I am already doing, either at home or at university. If someone could provide a link to clearer instructions I could try something else, but honestly, instructions like "Keep the SSID broadcasting" that I found in the Sticky Forum don't make a lot of sense to me. I don't really know how to do that. Oh, and yes, I just checked online and I have the latest firmware for the D-Link router.

Collapse -
i forgot...
by sovrappensiero / January 24, 2008 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: I'd be glad to...

I forgot to add:

The other reason I ask about a virtual memory problem is because of the blue screen of death I mentioned in the initial post. It has only happened twice, and both times I was trying to view one web-cam and send my web-cam for viewing as well. I'm no expert, but it seems like this process would take a lot of virtual memory???

Both times it happened, I tried to set up both cams, and the net connection failed. I tried once more and, BSOD.

Collapse -
Dual web cams.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: i forgot...

Sorry but I found driver issues with many web cams... Can't write if that works.

Collapse -
Just to fill in the "issue"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: I'd be glad to...

There are tools that script kiddies use to duplicate your WIFI MAC address and crack WEP in no time. Your complaint is not unlike an owner that has some leech.

I know it's hard to accept but latest firmware, SSID broadcasting and WPA is how we're curing this in the field too often.

Maybe you can try some MAC spoof tool but what pain.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks!
by sovrappensiero / January 24, 2008 9:30 PM PST

Thanks for the advice; I'll keep working and see if I can fix it. If not, I guess I'll just re-format the system and start over.

Thanks again!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!