HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Intermittent connection breaks

by Amishtodd / October 8, 2007 6:16 PM PDT

Currently I use a D-Link Limited Edition Extreme N Gigabyte router (and have been for the last month or so) with no problems what-so-ever until last night I began having strange connection issues.

Every few minutes (actually it could range from a minute or less anywhere up to 5 or 10 minutes) my connection would drop (typically only for a few seconds but ranging upwards of a minute or two at times). I used the online virus scan Trend Micro "HouseCall" and it did not detect any trojans / malware / grayware. The problem persisted (although there were no issues noticed until evening time) through today up to the point I am posting this.

I am now running ZoneAlarm in an attempt to combat this (on the assumption it may be an outside source effecting my connection) and have had 2 incoming attempts to access my computer from 2 similar IP addresses (all digits were the same except for the final set). My reason for assuming that this is likely being caused by an outside source is because no one else in the house has been having the same issues and the router / modem itself does not appear to be losing connection with the internet.

If anyone knows what may be causing this, or ways that I can fix the issue it would be most appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intermittent connection breaks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intermittent connection breaks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You didn't share...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2007 10:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
Router setup
by Amishtodd / October 9, 2007 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: You didn't share...

The router was set up using the standard procedures described. It was named, firmware was updated, SSID is broadcasting, WPA2 is being used with a password to protect the network.

Collapse -
Try just WPA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Router setup

Some drivers fail on WPA2. Which is why we note good old WPA.

Bob

Collapse -
Hm
by Amishtodd / October 9, 2007 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Try just WPA

Is there a reason why that would cause an issue with 1 computer (after working flawlessly for over 3 weeks already) and not the other 3 using the network?

Collapse -
Are you using
by PudgyOne / October 9, 2007 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Hm

peer to peer programs, like Limewire, etc...?

Collapse -
Nope
by Amishtodd / October 9, 2007 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you using

Not using any P2P programs.

Collapse -
Stranger things have happened.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Hm

There is a reason I keep using that setup. I will once in awhile find some owner that will keep banging their head on the wall about it not working with their selected settings. While I know it's a software quality issue and more than I'm willing to type tonight I keep having successes with our forum suggested settings.

Your choice here.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.