PC Applications forum

General discussion

interfering processes

by Ronsin / June 15, 2007 11:44 AM PDT

recently ive noticed that music would randomly distort and slow down. i traced the problem to huge processor use jumps (from 0 to 50+ % for a second or 2) and i think theyr being caused by the "system idle precesses" that are taking up 80+ % of my cpu usage. is there anything i can do to make this stop?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: interfering processes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: interfering processes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...
by John.Wilkinson / June 15, 2007 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: interfering processes

System Idle Process is simply the title given to indicate available CPU resources, so the higher that percentage the better. It would help to know about the songs themselves (format and source), the media player used, and your sound card. The initial check, though, is usually to update the audio drivers, in this case downloaded from eMachines.

Let us know.
John

P.S. For other readers, Ronsin's specs are in his member profile.

Collapse -
or maybe not?
by Ronsin / June 15, 2007 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

the songs are mp3's and aac's on itunes and ive already gotten new sound drivers

this started right after i installed the awful software from a new netgear wireless pci adapter... could that be causing it?

Collapse -
Yes. Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: or maybe not?

1. See if Netgear issued newer drivers.
2. See if your motherboard drivers have been issued an update (I'd point this out to you but no make/model for me to work with.)

Finally, here's something I'm fixing daily -> http://winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm

Bob

Collapse -
what now?
by Ronsin / June 15, 2007 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes. Try this.

nothing on both the drivers

i did change one ide setting but i dont think that did anything

is my best bet to just start shutting down programs 1 by 1 to see what it is?

Collapse -
Yes, that's what's next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 8:59 PM PDT
In reply to: what now?

Since we don't have a good view of your machine you are going to have to do that.

That is, work back to what worked...

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!