Storage forum

General discussion

Interface cable speed?

Which is faster, a USB-2 cable or a SATA cable? Not the drive speed, but the cable speed?

I have a USB-2 HD case. The case will hold an IDE HD or a SATA HD. The cable is USB-2. My motherboard has two SATA ports. Would it be faster to use a long SATA cable or the USB-2 cable? Powering the case is no problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Interface cable speed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Interface cable speed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Does the enclosure have an external eSATA connector too ?

In reply to: Interface cable speed?

Collapse -
No.

In reply to: Does the enclosure have an external eSATA connector too ?

I was going to leave the drive in the case (for power) and connect it to the motherboard with a two foot eSATA cable. Use the eSATA cable instead of the USB-2 cable. I'll mod the case so the cable can be used.

Collapse -
USB2.0 versus eSATA (much faster, clear winner)

In reply to: No.

I ran a test copying 44.6GBs of data from an older 200GB SATA (interal) to a new 640GB external (mounted in Adaptec
eSATA II - USB 2.0 enclosure). The base system was:

AMD 4800+ System, 2GBs RAM under WinXPPro 64, with USB 2.0 ports and eSATA cable from MB to external bracket.

Source drive: Seagate ST3200822A (internal SATA)

Target Drive: Western Digital WD6400AAKS (in Adaptec eSATA-USB 2.0 enclosure).

Interface: USB 2.0 eSATA II
Elapsed time: (min/secs) 21.50 12.48

When I run the HDTune 2.55 Test on the WD6400AAKS connected USB2.0 only, then eSATA only.. the results are below.

USB2.0 eSATA
Min Transfer... 31.6 MB/s 54.4
Max Transfer... 33.1 MB/s 115.2
Avg Transfer.. 33.0 MD/s 94.2
Avg Access... 16.0 MB/s 15.7
Burst Transfer 27.8 MB/s 113.5
CPU use ....... 5.9% 2.6%

Not hard to figure this one out.

Let us know how yours turns out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
repost to clarify results

In reply to: USB2.0 versus eSATA (much faster, clear winner)

ran a test copying 44.6GBs of data from an older 200GB SATA (internal) to a new 640GB SATA (mounted in Adaptec eSATA II - USB 2.0 enclosure). The base system was an AMD 4800+ System, 2GBs RAM under WinXPPro 64, with USB 2.0 ports and eSATA cable from MB to external bracket.

Source drive: Seagate ST3200822A (internal SATA)

Target Drive: Western Digital WD6400AAKS (in Adaptec eSATA-USB 2.0 enclosure).

Interface: USB 2.0 eSATA II
Elapsed time in min/secs: 21.50 12.48

When I run the HDTune 2.55 Test on the WD6400AAKS connected USB2.0 only, then eSATA only.. the results are below.

USB2.0 eSATA
Min Transfer... 31.6 MB/s 54.4
Max Transfer... 33.1 MB/s 115.2
Avg Transfer.. 33.0 MB/s 94.2
Avg Access... 16.0 MB/s 15.7
Burst Transfer 27.8 MB/s 113.5
CPU use ....... 5.9% 2.6%

Not hard to figure this one out.

Let us know how yours turns out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Exactly what I needed to know. . .

In reply to: USB2.0 versus eSATA (much faster, clear winner)

Thanks. Tomorrow will get the cable and mod the case. Will let you know.

Collapse -
Got it working. . .

In reply to: Interface cable speed?

And DUH!. All I had to do is read the box the cable came in for speed. USB-2 = ~300 Mb/s, eSATA = 3 Gb/sec. And it is faster.

It's not pretty, but it works. Removed the case to get access to the connector, ran the eSATA cable in the back of the PC to the SATA port. Booted up, XP Pro found the device and installed it.

Now, I just wonder if I can power off the case while the PC is running like when it's connected USB. Haven't tried yet, don't want to take a chance of the drive crashing. Any thoughts?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.