Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Interesting wireless printer problem.....

by Tony Holmes / May 16, 2010 12:50 AM PDT

Basics of home network:
FIOS with Vista desktop connected to router via ethernet cable,xp laptop and Lexmark S605 printer communicate wirelessly with router.Everything worked flawlessly until last weekend.

The old Dlink G router died on Sunday after 5yrs so I ran to Staples and bought a Cisco/Linksys E1000 'N' router.I got everything back up and running with no problems.To rejoin the S605 to the network,I went into it's wireless network settings and entered the router's ssid and p/word.I printed from both the desktop and laptop,everything worked and the network was happy!

Fast forward one week:I'm on the verge of taking my Mossberg 500 and using the printer for target practice.

Printing from either desktop/laptop gives communication errors(neither one sees the printer over the network).I can use the printer only if I connect it to the desktop via usb.

Things tried:
Reset printer to factory defaults.
Delete all traces of anything Lexmark and reinstall software on both computers.

Result:the printer can see the router and I can add it to the network through the printer's settings but neither computer can see the printer?

I realize I have to create a new printer port on the desktop but I can't,entering the printer's ip addy get's 0 results.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Interesting wireless printer problem.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Interesting wireless printer problem.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just had that issue with a HP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 2:23 AM PDT

The N router had to be set to 802.11 G mode and all the usual ports and firewalls tinkered with. I think the Mossberg is the better idea.
Bob

Collapse -
The Mossberg wasn't needed :)
by Tony Holmes / May 17, 2010 1:48 AM PDT

You gave me a place to start checking for the problem,Thx.

The S605 is a 'N' device,I checked the router's basic wireless settings and it was set to 'mixed' which includes B/G/N so that was left as is.

Directly above that was 'configuration view'.WIFI protected was selected with manual being the other choice.I selected manual,saved the changes and behold! The printer was no longer invisible and I was able to create a new port.

Collapse -
My model
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 2:50 AM PDT

Didn't play on mixed mode. The printer only showed up in 802.11g mode at the router. Truly a Mossberg 930 target. The software was no better.

So even after getting it to work, HP's support was not there so back to USB connections for quite a long time. The printer is now history and I went to another make for awhile.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.