HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Interesting question about laptop graphics card

by Adi / August 2, 2004 7:37 PM PDT

I have a HP compaq nx9005 which comes with a 64MB ATI Radeon IGP 320M. Now, my interesting question is, since the graphics card memory is shared memory, can I allocate more memory to my graphics card and so enhance its speed? Or do I need to purchase a new graphics card for that? If I need a new one, a) is it possible to upgrade (because I know laptops are much harder to upgrade than desktops) and b) does anyone have any ideas of the price of an upgrade?

Thanks in advance,
Adi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Interesting question about laptop graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Interesting question about laptop graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Interesting question about laptop graphics card
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 10:18 PM PDT

You'll have to get into the machine's BIOS settings to see, but in laptops I've found no options for this one.

The answer so far with the units I've seen is "no". As to adding a graphics card to a laptop, for all the models I've seen, the answer is no. You won't see this on share memory video machines.

Bob

Collapse -
by mini87 / August 3, 2004 2:22 AM PDT

Yes you can allocate more memory to the graphics card. You can go under the BIOS (By pressing F2 at startup), go under UMA Video Memory, and select the video memory you want. If you have 384MB RAM and above, you can select 128 shared video memory. However, if you have 256 and below, the higest you can go is 64. I have the exact same graphics card in my HP Pavilion ze4427wm, and if you are wanting to play ANY games on that card, good luck. Increasing the memory won't help that card perform any better. Good Luck.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 3, 2004 4:40 AM PDT

Choosing the video card option is the most important thing when purchasing a notebook as it cannot be upgraded easily (it is soldered to the motherboard).

Integrated video (shared) is the kiss of death for all intensive games. You are also losing part of your RAM to the video card operation.

32mb dedicated works well for most people but 64mb is better and only $50 more usually (if ordering custom like at HP/Compaq or Dell, etc) but some notebooks now have 128mb (ATI 9700 video card).

It is better to get the highest dedicated memory in the notebook (64mb is still the highest on most notebooks like the Toshiba M35S456 and Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 Pentium M notebooks (Centrino) and to save $ on a slightly slower processor, smaller hard drive, less memory up front, etc (as all these can be upgraded later if desired).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.