Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Interesting interpretation

by Steven Haninger / June 19, 2012 8:54 PM PDT
Flipping the bird is constitutionally protected speech

From the article:

"Street agreed, saying that Ressig's gesture did not constitute disorderly conduct and was unlikely to prompt violence, at least with the police chief.

Chillicothe Law Director Sherri Rutherford said that Moore intended only to give Reissig a cautionary warning because a recent road-rage incident had led to a stabbing."

And so, in a confrontation, a middle finger gesture does not count as an act of provocation. While I agree folks need to keep cool, I wonder what does count as provocation that escalates into violence making one person or the other responsible for the outcome. Confused
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Interesting interpretation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Interesting interpretation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: what does count as provocation
by JP Bill / June 19, 2012 9:05 PM PDT

Wearing a hoodie?

Collapse -
To be fair
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 9:09 PM PDT

to other topics and to all others in this forum, I don't see how bringing up the Trayvon case here is proper. It is already being discussed elsewhere.

And in any case, wearing a hoodie isn't a gesture in the same way as the topic in this discussion.

Lets leave Trayvon and hoodies out of this one, huh?

Mark

Collapse -
I do see some relevance but not the hoodie
by Steven Haninger / June 19, 2012 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: To be fair

We've had two other cases discussed here where some kind of provocation led to shooting and death. In the case of Trayvon Martin, it was argued that 'if only Zimmerman didn't follow him'. In the other, a man was taking video and audio of what he considered to be noise that was disturbing neighborhood peace. If we use the "if only so-and-so didn't (add your activity here) such-and-such would not have happened. ". We hear that tossing the finger isn't considered worthy of confrontation. What about following someone or video recording their homes? In that sense, Mark, I think there's historical relevance to other conversation here. Happy

Collapse -
Well I'm not going to argue about it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 9:32 PM PDT

It's your thread and topic so that's fine by me.

Mark

Collapse -
Seems to me....
by Josh K / June 19, 2012 10:47 PM PDT

.....that flipping the bird would only incite violence in people who are prone to violent behavior anyway. I've had the bird flipped at me plenty of times and while it pissed me off, I never wanted to respond by physically attacking the person who did it.

Collapse -
I agree
by Steven Haninger / June 19, 2012 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Seems to me....

As long as the confrontation is limited to verbal and body language, all parties are equally armed. They may as well be hurling cotton balls. The rules change if and when it becomes physical.

Collapse -
I've had that happen to me and I just thought it was funny
by Diana Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems to me....

That was the best they could do?

Diana

Collapse -
LOL, what else were you hoping for?

Wouldn't it be funny if all the finger flippers got arthritis in the middle finger and couldn't close it anymore?

Collapse -
My daughter.....
by Josh K / June 20, 2012 11:26 PM PDT

.....who is still at the age where she thinks daddy knows all, came home from school a few months ago and said, "Daddy, _______ told me that if you hold up your middle finger it's a bad word. That's not true, is it?"

It was so sweet but I had to tell her the truth, yes it's a bad word and it's not appropriate behavior to do it.*

*Yes, I'm a hypocrite in this case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.