Laptops forum

General discussion

Interesting article on quality of laptops basically says

by orlbuckeye / November 27, 2009 11:45 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Interesting article on quality of laptops basically says
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Interesting article on quality of laptops basically says
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks!
by tcawife / December 3, 2009 8:48 PM PST

I am in the market for my first laptop and only have been looking at the Asus and Toshiba brands. Nice to see in print, confirmation that I am starting out right!

Collapse -
No, you aren't
by richteral / December 4, 2009 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Not with Toshiba, my friend; see my other post here. If you are starting out, anything will go, but make some qualified judgements before it does.

Collapse -
Statistical Significance
by timhood / December 4, 2009 2:35 PM PST

It should be noticed that differences of less than 3% would be statistically insignificant. Therefore, you could expect equal reliability from Asus, Toshiba, Sony, Apple and Dell.

But, if you're looking at reliability, it wouldn't hurt to look in more than one place. What about customer support and customer satisfaction? If you do have a problem, you'd want to be treated well. (And by the looks of things, many laptop users could expect to have a problem). Forrester Research and J.D. Power both gave Apple top scores.

My own experience bears that out. When my daughter had an issue with her iPod touch, I brought it into an Apple store. They tried for a few minutes to see if they could get it working, and when they couldn't, they just gave me a new one, no questions asked, no hassles. They didn't want to waste my time keeping me there while they tried and tried to get it working. With other brands, what is even the chance you'd get to deal with the manufacturer like this without mailing in your product? Certainly a store isn't going to want to take back your faulty product and just give you a new one off the shelf. And when you do ship it back to the manufacturer, how likely are you to get a new one vs. wait for days or weeks for them to figure out what's wrong with your product and fix it?

Collapse -
Forget Toshiba ......
by Moonlight Gambler / December 4, 2009 9:40 PM PST

.... I had four Toshibas over six years and three failed to last eighteen months.

I bought two ASUS EEE PC's twelve months ago and both have been trouble free; a fifteen month old Apple Macbook Pro has had two minor, non critical, problems.

Collapse -
Likely so
by richteral / December 4, 2009 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: Forget Toshiba ......

Well, just looking at the Morgan Computers (UK only; sorry, you US guys but this is a Londoner's take) shows that Toshiba are the most re-worked/packaged/newed of all, which for anyone with probing judgement spells a warning sign. Clearly to be avoided.

Collapse -
Now compare
by richteral / December 4, 2009 10:18 PM PST
In reply to: Forget Toshiba ......

How does it square for price between the two, I pray? Pro is arms and legs, simply all you have (not just an arm and a leg, with the rest left over). And frankly, waste of money.

Collapse -
Well there are 2 things to consider when buying
by orlbuckeye / December 4, 2009 11:35 PM PST

1 build quality 2 Support. This data is using build quality only and the support when something breaks may ranked differently. We have a local laptop store that when I inquired about fixing my Acer. They said as long as it's not warranty work. That is because they aren't an Acer certified service center. If you live near bigger cities they do have certified service that are autorized for the bigger companies (hp, Dell and Toshiba to name a few). So build quality is just one part to look at. Even if you laptop is of the best quality it still could have a problem then you want iot repaired quickly and cheap.

Collapse -
What about IBM/Lenovo?
by h01dout / December 5, 2009 5:54 AM PST

Maybe it is only because of one very good experience, but I would believe that it would be hard to surpass the quality/support/whatever of an IBM/Lenovo laptop.
If cost is a problem, it can be bought second-hand (they are expensive).
I've had mine for a couple of years now, and never had any problems, except for upgrading to a larger hard drive, which took a little patience, and a screwdriver, on my part.
Otherwise (COW) no BSOD or anything else, that was not already taken care of through the additional "secret" IBM partition on the hard drive.

Collapse -
Well IBM
by tcawife / December 5, 2009 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: What about IBM/Lenovo?

As an IBM stockholder, I guess I should consider them, the very first computer I owned in '92 was an IBM. Guess desktops are a lot different than laptops, but found that my IBM needed priority hardware. I remember paying $500 for 8MB of RAM lol ! when generic was around $140. I looking at a ASUS F50sv A1 & N70sv B1, really not a great deal of difference, chipset is SiS671DX. The N70 lists a sbs of 1033, and none listed for the F50. I don't know what would compare in an IBM...

Collapse -
Re: Well IBM
by h01dout / December 5, 2009 3:48 PM PST
In reply to: Well IBM

You are right, that is how it was many years ago when PCs were a novelty, and you virtually only had IBM and Apple to choose between.
For my present R50, I have upgraded the RAM to 2GB, using ordinary, standard modules, bought on EBay, and increased the harddrive to 320GB (The largest available with the older IDE interface) for $110AU. The only problem was that the Acronis transfer software could not cope with the special IBM partition. (I should probably have bought Norton's ghosting package).
I know the IBM Lenovos are a bit more costly than the rest, but it looks as if they still set the target for others to follow, and for my part, I would rather buy a second hand ex government IBM than a flashy new laptop of any other brand, for a similar amount of money.
And...I do not own IBM shares, nor am I employed by them or any associate companies.

Collapse -
Its lenova and not IBM/Lenova.
by orlbuckeye / December 6, 2009 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: What about IBM/Lenovo?

IBM sold the business a few years ago. They also gave limited time useage of the Thinkpad name. This article isn't factoring support at all. Most people hope to get a laptop built good enough that they don't need support. The study doesn't consider support after the laptop breaks but the likelyhood that will need support later.

Collapse -
So I should have read
by tcawife / December 6, 2009 10:01 AM PST

my annual report better! Didn't realize that IBM had sold that part of their business. I had wondered why the name had changed to Lenova.
I am seriously considering the ASUS and will probably purchase from CDW. They built "old faithful" for me, which I am writing from win98 and all. Thanks for all your help. It has been an interesting thread.
From laptops to cars, now that's a leap. Happy Holidays!

Collapse -
I'm not surprised...
by d_adams / December 6, 2009 12:16 AM PST

Asus always did make high quality stuff. I wonder If they're including Netbooks in all this, though. They seem pretty cheap and not very reliable as a general rule.

Also, I always did say that when it came to laptops, you do get what you pay for!

I have owned several Dells and a few Apples. Both brands have lasted a loooong time. I am hoping I'll have as good of luck with my new MacBook Pro.

Collapse -
laptop reliability
by danman1453 / December 6, 2009 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not surprised...

with these numbers published on various "portable" pc system manufacturers...

has anyone done a study of car manufacturer post bailout reliability? for example, what are the failure rates on major components in the chevy cobalt in the first year?

I think there needed to be some verified data for comparison in other common markets.

So, until then, i am not giving this article any weight.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?